minutes/july_7_2006

The minutes of TAB meetings are provided for informational purposes
only. Discussions and decisions described in the minutes should not be
interpreted as official or definitive TAB or OSDL policy. While efforts
are made to ensure their accuracy and completeness, we regret we cannot
guarantee that they are. If you have corrections or additions, please
contact tech-board at lists.osdl.org

Friday July 7, 2006

Technical Advisory Board Conference Call Minutes

Attendees:


James Bottomley
Randy Dunlap
Christoph Lamater
Matt Mackall
Leann Ogasawara
Ted Ts'o
Arjan van de Ven
Chris Wright

Action Items:


     * Arjan to review Fellowship Fund wording and make any suggestions
       to Tom.
     * James to post a note about TAB nominations to tech-board-discuss
       mailing list.

Agenda:


1) Review of Fellowship Fund Requests
2) TAB Elections
3) Chris Wright Report From the OSDL-Japan Symposium
4) LWE Kernel Dev Sessions: Who, What, When
5) James Report From the OSDL Board

Review of Fellowship Fund Requests


Performance Enhancements for CIFS VFS - The TAB's initial thought was
that this was a very specific task and that Samba would be more
appropriate for funding the work. They wondered if this was really
important for Samba compatibility? They felt there is no real driving
need to fund this. Also, this is not a general area to allow other
people to do more work. The TAB questioned if performance is really an
issue as they haven't seen any bug reports on CIFS being too slow. They
feel there are more critical projects in the Fellowship Fund queue that
should be addressed over this one.

Network Intrusion - The TAB felt this project is seeking VC money which
is not what the Fellowship Fund was set up for. The Fellowship Fund is
meant to fund a specific developer for a specific task that will have a
broad impact on the development community. Also, this proposal is not
targeted towards the kernel which is what the TAB is interested in right
now.

It appears that the Fellowship Fund is receiving numerous requests
seeking VC funding. Arjan said he would take a look at the Fellowship
Fund wording/description and recommend any changes to possibly avoid
these types of requests coming in.

Tab Elections


The five members up for election are:

- Matt Mackall
- James Bottomley
- Randy Dunlap
- Ted Ts'o
- Chris Wright

The TAB needs to allow for other candidate nominations to come in so
James will post an announcement to the tech-board-discuss mailing list.
The voting process will be a show of hands at the kernel summit. The
top 5 candidates who receive the most votes will be elected. There are
no limitations on the number of candidates. Gerrit mentioned he'd add
this to the kernel summit agenda. Due to the massive protest on the
discuss list this will be held as a BOF. James will also have an update
of the TAB activities at the BOF.

Chris Wright Report From the OSDL-Japan Symposium


The format was a 2 day event. The 1st day was a broad public event and
rapidly exceeded expectations in terms of attendance, ~150 people. It
was a reasonable mix of developers, technical managers, and technical
leads. The first day was broken into two halves. The first half was a
status update and state of the union from certain areas. Andrew Morton
reported on the kernel, Steve and Yoshifuji on networking, Chris
on Xen, and Junio on git. The git and the kernel presentations were
especially well received. The second half was for the Japanese to pull
together some of their wish lists, questions, hot topics,
concerns etc. and present them to the presenters from the first half of
the day and allow them to respond. The goal was to help bridge the gap
and get Japanese developers more involved in the mainstream community.
There was a consistent message coming from the presenters which was get
on the mailing lists, submit patches, be persistent, etc. The second
day was for OSDL members to give presentations on work
they are currently doing or receive help on work they are doing. They
were given similar feedback as those who attended the first day. The
next gathering is scheduled for September. The exact details have not
been stated. There has been a concern about drivers so probably
something on that, Tom would be the best to contact. The TAB noted that
if the exact dates could be nailed down it would make planning easier.
It was recommended that either right before or right
after Linux conf au could make travel easier. It was also noted that a
number of TAB members could possibly attend a November date due to the
OSDL-Board meeting.

LWE Kernel Dev Sessions: Who, What, When


It was decided that a Wednesday afternoon session would suit the
presenters better. It would allow for all the presenters to have a
round table discussion with all of them present. Otherwise, James and
Greg would have to jump between this session and the OSDL-Board meeting.
It was also noted that other TAB members could possibly attend: Arjan,
Matt, and Ted. Randy will give a presentation on kernel social
engineering. gregkh - ?. James will give a presentation on the value
of getting your patches into the kernel from a developer and managers
point of view. All three will send their presentation titles to the TAB
mailing list which Leann will then forward to John Walker. The dates
for LWE SF are August 14 - 17, of which the kernel developer session
will be held the afternoon (3pm) of Wednesday the 16th.

James Report From the OSDL Board


<confidentiality>