Persons unable to use a keyboard and mouse sometimes use alternative input devices. However, many users can be accommodated programatically through software that causes a standard keyboard to behave differently. Many of these features and behaviors have long been available in the The X Keyboard Extension: Library Specification Library (X Version 11, Release 6.4) [XKB] specification.
Individuals with mobility impairments will benefit by having such features built-in and available through standard activation strategies, such as tapping the Shift key five times to activate StickyKeys. The routines provided by the API will also benefit assistive technologies such as on screen keyboard and screen reader applications.
This specification, developed by the Open A11y Workgroup's Keyboard Committee, identifies and adopts a subset of the XKB
specification in order to provide standard keyboard features and behaviors
required by persons with mobility impairments.
The keywords "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in [RFC2119].
All diagrams, examples, and notes in this specification are non-normative, as are all sections explicitly marked non-normative. Everything else in this specification is normative.
About This Document
The normative version of Keyboard Access Functional Specification,
is the XHTML Strict 1.0 version, located at:
All other versions (and any future translations) of Keyboard Access Functional Specification, RC3 (KAFS RC2) are non-normative.
- A list of known errors in this specification is maintained at:
- Please report errors in this document to the firstname.lastname@example.org)">Open A11y Request for Comments List (email@example.com). Please report any technical problems encountered with this document or the resources to which it links, please contact
- Key words for use in RFCs to indicate requirement levels, RFC 2119, S. Bradner, March 1997.
- XKB: The X Keyboard Extension, Revision 6.4 (PostScript file)
- The X Keyboard Extension: Library Specification Library (X Version 11, Release 6.4) [PDF file] An X Consortium Standard. Version 1.0/Document Revision 1.1. Edited by Aitken, Gary and Benson, Amber J.; authors: Fortune,
Erik; Converse, Donna; Sachs, George; Walker, Will.