There are a wide range of tools available for measuring network performance. Common ones are:
- n-u-t-t-c-p great successor to ttcp.
- nttcp An improved version of the popular ttcp program.
- ISIC is a suite of utilities to exercise the stability of an IP Stack and its component stacks (TCP, UDP, ICMP et. al.)
- curl-loader application traffic generation (HTTP/S, FTP/S), loading and testing tool
Also of interest are common network application benchmarks such as:
- Windows file server benchmark develped by Veritest and used by PC Magazine.
It has been discontinued but you can download the client here.
- NFS benchmark available at Gelato@UNSW
- Web server benchmark. Original SpecWeb99 is replaced by SpecWeb2005.
This is a commercial benchmark that costs $1200/$300 and has reporting restrictions.