Here are a series of articles related to printing with free software. These are developer-focused; user documentation and tutorials may be found elsewhere on this site. Articles marked `LP' are locally written; others are links to pages elsewhere.
- The New Generation of Printing: CUPS and Foomatic
- A tutorial about printing with CUPS, Foomatic, and KDE-Print given by Till Kamppeter and Kurt Pfeifle. The hand-out papers (around 100 printed pages) are available on-line and for download.
LP; September 25, 2002
- Printing Summit 2001
- A report from the second Printing Summit in San Jose.
LP; October 29, 2001
- LinuxWorld 2001
- A quick report from LinuxWorld 2001 in New York.
LP; February 5, 2001
- LPD Must Die!
- An open letter to GNU/Linux distributors and developers calling for us to work together to eliminate the klunky scourge of Unix printing.
LP; November 1, 2000
- MFPA Presentation
- This is the presentation I will be giving on October 24 at the Multifunction Peripheral Association's annual conference.
LP; October 22, 2000
- How to work out uniprint weaving parameters
- A tutorial on computing parts of the data for a Ghostscript Uniprint driver. New drivers might be better done under the umbrella of the gimp-print/stp project, but uniprint does have a place in the world.
- Running a GDI Printer Under Linux
- Not actually user documentation; instead, a multipart series describing techniques for reverse engineering printer protocols.
Parts: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.
Rildo Pragana; August 30, 2000
- Printing Summit Report
- A front-line report of the happenings at the first VA Linux Printing Summit, held July 2000 in California.
LP; July 31, 2000
- Printing to get 'Net facelift
- A magazine article reporting on the standardization of IPP 1.1. There's actually some substance to the article, and assorted useful links at the bottom.
Network World Fusion; July 10, 2000