By Linux Foundatio... - October 23, 2009 - 8:07am
- openprinting.org is the central place for printing resources for a long time. Its central part is the printer compatibility database telling which printers work with Posix-style operating systems and how well they work. In addition, there is a printer driver database which lists all known free software printer drivers and how they are called. With this data the drivers can be integrated with every known printing environment. User forums give the possibiolity to ask questions and to discuss printing problems. All in all, this forms the biggest knowledge base about printing with Posix-style operating systems.
- Foomatic is the de-facto standard for printer driver integration in the Linux distributions and other Posix-style operating systems
- The documentation of the data format of the XML database can be found in the README file of the foomatic-db-engine package.
- The way how the universal print filter foomatic-rip works is documented in the README file of the foomatic-filters package.
- Printer database access online on the web
- Automated querying of the database
- The complete Foomatic system for download
How to contribute
Please feel free to correct this.
- Till Kamppeter
- Grant Taylor
- Johannes Meixner
- Patrick Powell
- George Liu
- Ulrich Wehner
- David Suffield
- David Chamberlin
- Markus Brauer
- Jens Stark
- Many printer manufacturers (Ricoh, HP, Epson, Kyocera, Sharp, Brother, Oce, Okidata, ...)
- Many users contributing their experience (here and here)
Recent Blog Posts
May 17, 2013
May 12, 2013