Here we try to collect Projects and Software-Categories, which are likely to be useful as Prior Art for patents in a specific USPTO Patent Classification. We also try to direct you to the evidence that such software has been published at some given date.
Basicly this is a mapping between USPTO categories and FLOSS categories.
This list won't ever be complete, but it will point you in some directions you couldn't come up with yourself. Thus you'll have more starting points for your Prior Art search.
- Office of Patent Classification
- The US Patent Office's classification, which is likely a must when dealing with US patents, with the following software-related classes:
USPTO Classification <-> Publications
- 345: COMPUTER GRAPHICS PROCESSING AND SELECTIVE VISUAL DISPLAY SYSTEMS
- 700: DATA PROCESSING: GENERIC CONTROL SYSTEMS OR SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS
- 701: DATA PROCESSING: VEHICLES, NAVIGATION, AND RELATIVE LOCATION
- 702: DATA PROCESSING: MEASURING, CALIBRATING, OR TESTING
- 703: DATA PROCESSING: STRUCTURAL DESIGN, MODELING, SIMULATION, AND EMULATION
- 704: DATA PROCESSING: SPEECH SIGNAL PROCESSING, LINGUISTICS, LANGUAGE TRANSLATION, AND AUDIO COMPRESSION/DECOMPRESSION
- 705: DATA PROCESSING: FINANCIAL, BUSINESS PRACTICE, MANAGEMENT, OR COST/PRICE DETERMINATION
- 706: DATA PROCESSING: ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
- 707: DATA PROCESSING: DATABASE AND FILE MANAGEMENT OR DATA STRUCTURES
- 711: ELECTRICAL COMPUTERS AND DIGITAL PROCESSING SYSTEMS: MEMORY (e.g., 711/216 is hashing)
- 715: DATA PROCESSING: PRESENTATION PROCESSING OF DOCUMENT, OPERATOR INTERFACE PROCESSING, AND SCREEN SAVER DISPLAY PROCESSING
- 717: DATA PROCESSING: SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT, INSTALLATION, AND MANAGEMENT
- 718: ELECTRICAL COMPUTERS AND DIGITAL PROCESSING SYSTEMS: VIRTUAL MACHINE TASK OR PROCESS MANAGEMENT OR TASK MANAGEMENT/CONTROL