minutes/april_14_2006

The minutes of TAB meetings are provided for informational purposes
only. Discussions and decisions described in the minutes should not
be interpreted as official or definitive TAB or OSDL policy. While
efforts are made to ensure their accuracy and completeness, we regret
we cannot guarantee that they are. If you have corrections or additions,
please contact tech-board at lists.osdl.org

April 14, 2006

Technical Advisory Board Conference Call Minutes

Attendees:


James Bottomley
Randy Dunlap
Tom Hanrahan
Greg Kroah-Hartman
Matt Mackall
Leann Ogasawara
Ted Ts'o

Agenda:

 - Fellowship Fund Proposals
 - Handling Fellowship Fund Requests
 - OSDL Technical training in Asia
 - FreedomHEC
 - NDA program status
 - LWE SF
 - Other

Action Items:

 1) Greg to write up the Documentation Proposal for the Fellowship Fund

and email out to the TAB mailing list.

 2) Tom to write it up with a detailed outline of Fellowship Fund

Request process and send it out to TAB mailing list.

 3) Greg agreed to find out more on the specifics of what the

FreedomHEC needs in terms of sponsorship and email it to the TAB list.

 4) James will initially approach Google about sponsorship for

FreedomHEC as well but Tom will also follow up.

 5) Leann to talk to Jennifer about getting enough marketing and

advertisement for LWE SF developer sessions in order to attract the
right audience.

 6)  Leann to speak with the OSDL initiative managers and see if

another meeting can be arranged between initiative members and the TAB
(rather than the joint face to face in France) - possibly set it up as a
con call.

Fellowship Fund Proposals

Contents


=============

The TAB felt it would be good to have two proposals, PCMCIA and
Documentation, prepared for the fellowship fund. The proposals are
needed mainly by OSDL marketing to show to member companies and convince
them to donate funds. Greg has agreed to write up the Documentation
proposal, similar to the PCMCIA proposal, and has estimated it will take
him 1 week. He will email the proposal out to the TAB mailing list.
James will then forward the proposals to Stuart (CC Tom) and they will
take them to the Technical and Marketing Subcommittee of the OSDL board
to get final approval before approaching member companies for funds.

Handling Fellowship Fund Requests


=====================

OSDL will take the responsibility for initially handling requests that
come in for the Fellowship Fund. OSDL will verify all requests are are
in a complete coherent format - for example, who is making the request,
what they are planning to do, duration of their task, dollar amount
being requested. OSDL will not filter out any content. Once OSDL has a
complete request they will bring it to the attention of the TAB. The
TAB can then eliminate which requests have or don't have merit and in
turn take appropriate requests to the Technical and Marketing
Subcommittee of the OSDL Board. The Technical and Marketing
Subcommittee will then vote to allocate funds to reasonable projects.
Tom will write up more detailed outline of this process and send it out
to TAB mailing list. It was mentioned he can probably use Dominic's
prototype that was sent to the TAB mailing list early on. Look in the
archives. So far the fellowship fund has 25K committed and 4 more
companies are considering an additional 25K each (100K total). This is
the reason for creating the proposals; to entice potential donors.

OSDL Technical training in Asia


===================

There has been talk about a need for technical training sessions to
occur in Asia. The idea for these training sessions has come about from
discussions with Japanese OSDL member companies and completion of the
OSDL operations plan. Japanese companies said they want and expect
quarterly summits, conferences, or training sessions in regards to
working with the open source community and developing code. There will
be 3 training sessions planned for this year followed by 1 per quarter
from there on out. Japanese companies were specific about what they
want to see covered in each of the first 3 training sessions. The first
session will cover general kernel and memory management, virtualization,
and networking. This first session will occur in mid June and they have
already arranged for Andrew Morton to talk about the kernel and memory
management, Steve Hemminger for networking, and Chris Wright for
virtualization. OSDL is also trying to get a couple of Japanese
developers who have successfully worked with open source community to
attend. Because of communication and language barriers, they are trying
to focus primarily on Japanese speaking attendees. OSDL is also
tentatively thinking of having the second training session in August.
The focus for that would be on device drivers, dump trace, and ckrm.
Greg and Christoph are might be able to attend if there are no
scheduling conflicts. The third and final session of the year will
happen in November. That session will focus on drivers (James Bottomly
to attend and present), test tools (possibly Martin Bligh to talk about
his Autotest framework), x.org (Keith Packard would be a good to get),
and possibly some distributions. No official name for the conference
has been decided yet. The Japanese also would like an opportunity to
present their ideas on these subjects and what they are interested in
working on. The duration of the conference is currently at 3 days. The
1st day is for OSDL members only - a small venue. The 2nd and 3rd day
will be open to everyone. Once OSDL has this type of program working,
they intend to take it to China and Korea. The TAB noted that CKRM is
dead and the only possible good that it would have in these sessions
would be as an example of what _not_ to do. It was mentioned that these
sessions were not set in stone so adjustments can be made about topics.
The TAB thought Suparna would be a good candidate to talk about dump
trace. It was asked if these companies wanted technical info or how to
deal with the community and it was noted that it would be a good thing
for each of these training sessions to speak on this. Greg had spoke
with NEC and they mentioned they really wanted information about working
with the development community. It was also noted that CELF has been
having good luck with their techno jamboree - plan on having it 6 times.
It was also noted that Japanese developers being able to integrate into
the community came up at the OSDL board meeting. All the OSDL Japanese
member companies are enterprise related. It couldn't hurt to point out
Japanese projects focused on the embedded side and how they are working
and involved in the community.

FreedomHEC


==

This is an event being organized by Don Marti who works at Spikesource.
He wants to create a developer specific conference . FreedomHEC meets
all of the needs as far as a conference for developers and educating
them on community involvement. They do need help with sponsorship. It
is not yet clear on exactly what the sponsorship money is needed for,
possibly to help cover travel expenses for developers to attend or they
may just need help with advertisement. Tom sent out an email to OSDL
member companies already to see who would want to help sponsor this. It
was mentioned to maybe ask Google as well. It was also noted that some
presenters attending the Storage Summit could possibly present at
FreedomHEC. Greg agreed to find out more on the specifics of what they
need in terms of sponsorship and email it to the TAB list. James will
initially approach Google about sponsorship as well but Tom will also
follow up.

NDA Program Status


======

James has an email sent to Steve and the CTO of HP about the NDA
Program. There is no info yet. The focus of the email is to fully
agree and fully understand what James is asking and wants and getting
inside information from HP and what they want. Everything is being held
up in the legal dept for how. The TAB will wait to identify the next
target company until we can see if the process will work for HP. It
might be that we are taking the wrong approach but we'll find out. Greg
has a company in mind to try next - Nokia. It has to go through a
special interest group. The TAB is to let Tom know when they are ready
for him to work on the next company.

LWE SF


==

Assuming the TAB can influence these tracks who can present? Greg and
James have already submitted presentation proposals. The dates are
August 14 - 17th. Randy can possibly do a social engineering with the
community presentation as he is doing the same for OSCON. We are still
waiting to hear back from Jennifer if this is a separate track and a
whole or half day event. 2 people for half a day is fine. 3 could
stretch to a full day. The TAB noted that a session that is open to
anyone is good, but doing something like a social engineering talk to
the improper audience is a waste of time. Another worry is attracting
enough people of the right target audience. The TAB may need some
marketing support so the right start up firms know this session is
happening. OSDL can help out in terms of marketing. PR firms would be
good to engage and so on. Leann to talk to Jennifer about the marketing
issue.

Other


=

It was asked what the status status was for the joint face to face in
France between members of the TAB and the OSDL initiative members. It
was noted that it was a a bit short notice for members to the TAB to
attend the conference. Leann will speak with the initiative managers
and see if another meeting can be arranged - possibly as a con call.