openSUSE Tumbleweed status for the week of April 9, 2011
Here's a short note as to the status of some recent activity in the
- the kernel is at the 2.6.38 release level
- a number of multimedia packages and libraries were updated to their Factory level
- Banshee 2 is now in the repository
- LibreOffice 3.3.2 is in the repository.
- I'm considering adding GNOME:3.0 to openSUSE:Tumbleweed when the openSUSE
GNOME developers release it. It's building in a test repository right now
pretty successfully, but it might be a few more weeks until it seems "ready"
Note, it seems that when any package is added or updated in the
openSUSE:Tumbleweed repository, LibreOffice rebuilds itself. This can be
annoying for those on bandwidth-challenged network connections, and seems to be
due to the dependency chain that the LibreOffice developers have defined in
their .spec files. Hopefully this will be resolved for the next major release,
but in the meantime, I'll try to limit library updates in openSUSE:Tumbleweed
to once a week at the most unless security issues require it.