Experience the Next Automotive Revolution
There are many significant milestones marking the path of automotive history from the early beginnings in the 19th Century to the era of modern transportation technology today. However, there are only a few revolutions that caused a paradigm shift within the entire industry.
The first revolution, the introduction of the moving assembly line in Ford plants in 1913 transformed the car from an exclusive luxury object for the wealthy few to a mass product affordable by virtually anyone.
The second revolution, the mainstream deployment of electronic control modules for various functions starting in the 1980s marked the departure of the automobile being merely mechanical.
The next revolution, currently underway, is transforming the car into a wireless communication device enabling traveling passengers to stay connected and communicate beyond the boundaries of the vehicle. This revolution is entirely driven by open source software.
So what does it take to put open source to work in a car? Come and find out at the 2nd Annual Automotive Linux Summit organized by The Linux Foundation, Sept. 19-20 at the Heritage Motor Centre near Birmingham, UK.
This event will bring together the most innovative minds from automotive expertise and open source excellence, including automotive systems engineers, Linux experts, R&D managers, business executives, open source licensing and compliance specialists and community developers. The Automotive Linux Summit will deliver attendees top-notch speaking talent (from Europe and across the globe), innovative and abundant program content and a wide variety of opportunities to connect with peers and create new business relationships.
In eight keynotes and 48 breakout sessions expert speakers will cover topics from business, operations, engineering and R&D to successfully deploying Linux and open-source in automotive products. Come and expect to learn about:
* Intellectual property and open source software
* Realizing a Linux-based in-vehicle infotainment system
* Designing the intelligent, evergreen and "forever open road"
* Why the automotive industry needs open innovation and not just open source
* Embedded virtualization and why you need different solutions
* Best- and worst-known methods in open source compliance and how to get on the right side
* Delivering live TV service and other streaming content to a moving vehicle
* Lessons learned from the mobile industry on over-the-air updates and how to keep the connected car current
* Building a GENIVI-compliant software stack
* Using the cloud to deliver next-generation offerings for in-vehicle infotainment, services and applications
* Open user interface frameworks to enable feature-rich, human-machine interfaces
* Migrating from an RTOS to Linux
* The Tizen operating system platform
* Telephony and Bluetooth integration based on oFono and BlueZ
* Supporting near-field communication on in-vehicle platforms
* Open user interface frameworks to enable feature-rich automotive HMI
and much more.
At the showcase, which is open throughout the two days of the conference, various companies from the industry will exhibit solutions, technology demonstrations, prototypes and much more. GENIVI member companies will be updating you on the latest developments of the association. You will also have the opportunity to take a seat in cars featuring Linux-based, in-vehicle infotainment systems.
Network with peers, establish new business relationships and talk shop in the relaxed atmosphere at the evening reception on the first day with drinks and hors d'oeuvres surrounded by historic cars.
Follow https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/automotive-linux-summit for details and registration.
I am looking forward to meeting you there!