First chartered in 2004 as the Linux Foundation Accessibility Workgroup (LFA), the Open Accessibility (A11y) Group functions today within the Linux Foundation to establish free and open standards that enable comprehensive universal access to various computing platforms, applications, and services. Open A11y makes it easier for developers, ISVs, and distributions to support assistive technologies (AT). Assistive technologies enable individuals to make full use of computer-based technology despite variability in physical or sensory abilities due to illness, aging or disability.
AT enables individuals who are blind or visually impaired to read online text, for example, and provides the means for individuals who do not have the use of their arms and hands to write and correspond. AT also enable individuals who cannot speak or hear to participate on the telephony interfaces of today -- and will support their participation on the multimodal computer interfaces of tomorrow.
- AT-SPI2 2.0.1 Available for Download (2011-04-27) 
- IAccessible2 released under BSD License 
- Linux Foundation Announces New Licensing Terms, Testing Tools for Accessibility Interfaces 
- news from Open A11y 
- Email Lists: Archives & List Services 
- Meetings: Agendas & Minutes 
- Specifications: Drafts & Recommendations 
- Open A11y Workgroup Participants 
- Open A11y's Executive Officers 
- Open Accessibility BZR Repository 
- Open Accessibility GForge Projects 
- Bugzilla 
Interested in writing cross-platform accessible applications?
- AT-SPI Interfaces  and Subinterfaces
- Keyboard Access Functional Specification, 1.0 (KAFS) 
- Learn more about the IAccessible2 interfaces for Windows .
- IAccessible2 
- AccProbe: The Accessibility Probe  is a standaloneapplication that provides a view of the Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA) or IAccessible2 hierarchy of a currently running application or rendered document and of the properties of the accessible objects of that application or document
- Get support or ask a question either on the Accessibility mailing list  or via irc.a11y.org , in channels #a11y and #ia2 -- or, create your own channel and get others involved!
- ATK/AT-SPI SIG 
- Expert Handlers SIG 
- IAccessible2 SIG 
- Input/Output (I/O) SIG 
- Keyboard Accessibility SIG 
Linux Accessibility Workgroup
Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit
Leader: Janina Sajka
|Noon - 1:30pm|| Lunch:
Participants are listed alphabetically, by last name
List information last updated 10 August 2010
IAccessible2 is a new accessibility API which complements Microsoft's earlier work on MSAA. This API fills critical accessibility API gaps in the MSAA offering. IAccessible2 was created out of necessity to produce a usable and accessible OpenDocument Format (ODF) based office suite for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
contents last updated 17 November 2008