Foomatic-RIP for Mac OS X
Foomatic-RIP for Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther) - Mac OS X 10.8.x (Mountain Lion)
- Foomatic-RIP 4.0.6  (668 KB)
- The Foomatic-RIP package installs the necessary core runtime components to enable printing with Foomatic machinery in Mac OS X. This package is generally not useful without Ghostscript and at least one foomatic PPD. Please see the usage instructions below for more details.
source code included on disk image
Ghostscript for Mac OS X 10.3.x (Panther) - Mac OS X 10.8.x (Mountain Lion)
- gplgs-8.71.dmg  (33 MB)
- GPL Ghostscript is an open-source PostScript interpreter that includes integrated support for the CUPS printing system in Mac OS X. It is the replacement for ESP Ghostscript.
GPL Ghostscript is required for all users.
source code 
Foomatic-RIP for Mac OS X 10.2.x (Jaguar)
- Foomatic-RIP 3.0.2  (224KB)
- The Foomatic-RIP package installs the necessary core runtime components (the foomatic-RIP CUPS filter and the foomatic-gswrapper) to enable printing with Foomatic machinery in Mac OS X. This package is generally not useful without Ghostscript and at least one foomatic PPD. Please see the usage instructions below for more details.
source code included on disk image
Ghostscript for Mac OS X 10.2.x (Jaguar)
- gplgs-8.61-jaguar-ppc.dmg  (17.1 MB)
- GPL Ghostscript 8.61 is an open-source PostScript interpreter that includes integrated support for the CUPS printing system in Mac OS X. It is the replacement for ESP Ghostscript.
GPL Ghostscript is required for all users. It is not necessary to install Ghostsccript more than once.
source code 
Please note: all packages require Mac OS X version 10.2 or newer.
Foomatic-RIP is an internal component of the Foomatic runtime printing system. It is may be included with the Mac OS X driver package available for download from this website. Please check the Downloads section for the driver package you want. It should be listed as a separate download if it is not included with the driver package. If there is no Mac OS X package for the driver you need, you will have to download it separately.
To determine if your printer is supported, check the Printer Listing database  for your manufacturer and model. If your printer model is listed in the database then the model description page will list the compatible free software printer drivers and the degree of compatibility (whether the printer works "perfectly", "mostly", "partially", or is a "paperweight").
In the case when more than one driver is compatible with a particular printer model, the recommended driver is listed first, with any remaining drivers listed in order of decreasing compatibility and performance.
In the case where no compatible printer driver is known to exist the model is classified as a "paperweight". In this case, you will need to contact the printer model manufacturer for support.
Once you have identified a compatible driver, the next step is to determine the driver's "Execution style". The execution style of a driver can be found on the driver description page (which is different from the driver home page or web page); click the name of the driver to go to its description page. Additionally, the execution style for every driver is listed parenthetically on the driver listing page .
If you see "Execution style: Filter" then the odds are high that you will need to use an existing package installer, such as for the hpijs driver , or, in the case that no such package exists, you will need to download the source for the driver and compile it yourself (although doing so might be considered an "advanced maneuver" for the typical Mac user). A third alternative would be to post a request for the driver to the Mac OS X forum , although this approach is not guaranteed to receive a timely response.
If you see "Execution style: Ghostscript" or "Execution style: Ghostscript Uniprint" then use the following guide to install your new printer driver:
- First, check to see if your driver is available as a Mac OS X package . If you discover that it is then you can skip directly to that page and go from there. Otherwise ...
- If you have not already done so, download and install the latest version of Foomatic-RIP, a link to which should be available at the top of this page. Next,
- If you have not already done so, download and install the latest version of Ghostscript, a link to which should be available at the top of this page. Next,
- Return to the driver listing page and download the appropriate PPD for your model. Select the appropriate printer from the popup list and click the "Generate PPD file" button to download the PPD file. Next,
- Locate the PPD file in your downloads directory and copy it into /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj
- Finally, use Printer Setup Utility (or Print Center on Mac OS X Jaguar) to add a new printer queue to your system. Or, if your printer is directly connected to your Mac via the USB port then you may wish to install usbtb  to simplify the setup procedure and improve your printing performance.