- To create an Application Programming Interface (API) that allows applications to interact with a print service or print services in a service and/or protocol independent manner.
- We have agreement on v1.0 functionality. Final edits have been made.
- All work on this specification is done through the use of the  .
- Development work on implementations of this API has been in progress as the specification has been developed. Current implementation support for interacting with the following is available:
- RFC-1179 based print services
- IPP based print services
- CUPS Funding for ESP to implement PAPI in CUPS or contributors are needed
- Solaris LP (bundled in Solaris 9u6 and later)
Additionally, the following applications have been developed or modified to be able to make use of the PAPI for print service interaction:
- BSD Print Commands
- lpr, lpq, lprm, lpc
- SysV Print Commands
- lp, lpstat, cancel, accept, reject, enable, disable
- Protocol Listeners
- in.lpd (rfc-1179), Apache/mod_ipp.so (IPP/1.1 protocol handler)
- Desktop Environments
- GNOME (libgnomeprint) See http://sf.net/projects/openprinting/  for more information.
- Norm Jacobs (Editor)
- Alan Hlava
- Michael Sweet
- Ira McDonald
- Glen Petrie
- and several others
  to subscribe http://lists.linux-foundation.org/mailman/listinfo/printing-spool