- TCP 
There are a wide range of tools available for measuring network performance. Common ones are:
- NetPIPE 
- Netperf 
- Iperf 
- netsniff-ng 
- gensink 
- ttcp 
- n-u-t-t-c-p  great successor to ttcp.
- nttcp  An improved version of the popular ttcp program.
- ISIC  is a suite of utilities to exercise the stability of an IP Stack and its component stacks (TCP, UDP, ICMP et. al.)
- curl-loader  application traffic generation (HTTP/S, FTP/S), loading and testing tool
Also of interest are common network application benchmarks such as:
- Windows file server benchmark develped by Veritest  and used by PC Magazine .
It has been discontinued but you can download the client here .
- NFS benchmark available at Gelato@UNSW 
- Web server benchmark. Original SpecWeb99  is replaced by SpecWeb2005 .
This is a commercial benchmark that costs $1200/$300 and has reporting restrictions.