Mailing list: http://kernelnewbies.org/MailingList  IRC:
Code License: GPL
Improving tracing in perf events / ftrace
(an idea from a student)
Using trace events under perf events is still a young feature and needs various improvements.
- Syscall events can carry only raw values and addresses. We need to make them "aware" of strings and structure contents from userspace.
- Make function / function graph tracers usable by perf.
- Optimize tracing fast-path.
- Improve perf tools to better handle trace events scalability.
- Provide new perf tools that exploit trace events (scheduler
migration analysis, etc...).
- Implement a per context excluding (eg: exclude irqs, exclude functions, etc...).
Of course, each of these elements can require a lot of work; probably the whole task list cannot be completed during the GSOC period, so for a single student it will be enough to complete only some of the items.