- This event has passed.
Big 5G Event
May 6 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Light Reading’s Big Communications Event (BCE) and 5G North America have merged to form the Big 5G Event. The 1,500+ telecom professionals who will be attending across the two days will enjoy access to multiple keynote sessions delivered by renowned service and solution provider representatives, as well as thought leadership from Heavy Reading’s leading analysts who will guide proceedings across the content rich two days.
LF Networking along with the Open Compute Project and the Open Networking Foundation will be hosting an all-day workshop on May 6th from 10:00 – 5:00, in Room 503-504.
Transforming 5G Networks through Open Source and Disaggregation
Open source is enabling dramatic transformation of operator networks. Both open source hardware and software are impacting all aspects of 5G, from RAN to the mobile Core.Three of the leading open source communities (Open Compute Project, Linux Foundation & Open Networking Foundation) are coming together to facilitate an integrated workshop covering all aspects of this activity. This will be a unique opportunity to learn about the full spectrum of activities and how they interrelate. This first-of-its-kind workshop will provide insight into the interweaving of all the various projects and provide opportunities to hear directly from and interact directly with leading operators and community experts.Attendees can expect to come away with a clear understanding of the broader ecosystem of open source, how operators are leveraging this work, how the supply chain is engaged, and how you can get more involved.
- 9:00-10:00am: Registration with coffee10:00-10:10am: Intro/Welcome, Workshop MC: Tom Anschutz, AT&T
- 10:10-10:40am: OCP openEDGE Enclosure, Mike Moore, Nokia
- 10:40-11:25am: Mobile Core – OMEC – presented by Sprint and Intel, Christian Maciocco, Intel
- 11:25am-12:00pm: The Open Source Provider Edge – presented by Bell Canada, Troy Saulnier, Bell Canada
- 12:00-1:00pm: Lunch Buffet
- 1:00-1:30pm: OpenEdge for servers, switches, and access devices – both wireless and wireline. What does convergence look like in a SDN/NFV/Cloud ecosystem? Tom Anschutz, AT&T
- 1:30-2:00pm: The Virtual Central Office, A Cross-Project Open Source Approach, Heather Kirksey, Linux Foundation
- 2:00-2:30pm: ORAN – How Open Source Software and Standards Will Transform Radio Access, Phil Robb, Linux Foundation
- 2:30-3:00pm: Mobile Backhaul – SEBA, Saurav Das, ONF
- 3:00-3:15pm: Break
- 3:15-3:45pm: Converged Mobile/Broadband Access & Core (COMAC)Oguz Sunay, ONF
- 3:45-4:45pm: Open dialogue and Q&A — a 5G Town Hall, Roz Roseboro, Principal Analyst, Heavy Reading
- 4:45-5:00pm: Wrap-Up, Tom Anschutz, AT&T
- 5:00-6:00pm: Happy Hour and Networking, Room 505
There is no cost to attend the workshop.