Your contributions and support help the Foundation to provide its supporting programs that enable its many hosted open source project communities to thrive. In addition to the opportunities presented by networking, learning, and working with other member organizations that are using and contributing to Linux Foundation open source projects, there are many other benefits associated with a membership that include Marketing, Training, and Event opportunities.
Why Join the Linux Foundation?
- Your membership supports other Linux Foundation organizations such as LetsEncrypt.org, Kernel.org, overall development of the Linux kernel, and salaries for full-time fellows such as Linus Torvalds, Greg Kroah-Hartman, and Shuah Khan.
- Your membership supports open source security initiatives such as OpenSSF and the Core Infrastructure Initiative (CII). The Linux Foundation funds critical security research, providing developers access to security tooling, free secure coding education, security audits, and facilitating an industry response to security challenges.
- Your membership enables the Foundation to provide travel and mentorship funding to help train and engage future contributors to open source communities.
- Your membership supports essential IP protection for open source, including our support for the Unified Patents open source zone that benefits all users and vendors using open source.1
- Your membership enables foundational legal work to improve the quality (licensing, export controls, trademark programs, privacy programs, etc.) of our upstream projects that you incorporate into your products and solutions.
- Your membership supports the creation of best practices materials covering each stage of your open source journey. Materials include foundational value proposition materials, setting up and running an open source program office, compliance workflows, tooling, contribution practices, templates, and enterprise management practices.
- Enables the LF to operate as a global organization with operations spanning the United States, European Union, United Kingdom, Switzerland, China, Australia, and Japan.
- Support foundational research on open source, including our partnership with the Laboratory for Innovation Science at Harvard University on security and open source topics.
- Enables a legal structure for projects to be created under a neutral governance model.
- Your membership enables diversity and inclusion programs, allowing us to offer registration scholarships to LF events, mentorship programs, diversity & socioeconomic need-based travel funding (not limited to LF events).
- We also offer programs onsite at LF events supporting diversity & inclusion efforts that your membership supports, including free childcare, onsite nursing room/milk storage, onsite prayer rooms, pronoun and preferred communication badge stickers, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages at evening events, diversity social events, complimentary kids day coding workshop alongside OSSNA annually, conference session videos freely available online, and other initiatives.
Linux Foundation Membership Tiers
|Silver Membership||Gold Membership||Platinum Membership|
|All of the Silver membership benefits plus…
A potential seat on the Board of Directors — nominate someone for a Gold Board seat on the LF Board or participate by voting in the next representative for the Gold ( up to 3 for the Gold member class )
Training Benefits (Replaces Silver Benefit):
|All of the Gold membership benefits plus…
A Dedicated seat on the LF Board of Directors.
Silver Fee Scale Based on Consolidated Employees *
5,000 Employees & Above: $20,000
Gold Membership Fee
Platinum Membership Fee