Webinar On Demand
Principles Of The CAP Theorem And Distributed Data
Recorded November 10, 2021
Join Us for a Complimentary Live Webinar
Sponsored by Cockroach Labs
The CAP Theorem states that it is impossible for a distributed database to simultaneously guarantee two of the following: Consistency, Availability or Partition Tolerance. The widely accepted theorem is often used to analyze and position new databases.
In this session, we will explore the three guarantees, delivering a definition for each, and outlining how each might affect your distributed system. This is a rather academic talk and hopefully, we will help you understand the history and how to use this important concept.
We will cover:
- What are the challenges to ensuring consistent distributed data.
- What are the availability challenges for a distributed database.
- What are the challenges to dealing with network failures and dropped messages.
- RAFT, MVCC and other algorithms
- We will talk through CP and CA databases and how they are used.
- How CockroachDB delivers on these key traits.
Principal Product Evangelist, Cockroach Labs