Linux Foundation Newsletter: December 2022
The Linux Foundation | 15 December 2022
It's the end of the year, and the holidays are upon us, but we’re not slowing down at the Linux Foundation. We’ve launched a new foundation for Overture Maps, an intent to launch Open Metaverse, and our Annual Report is now available! Plus, three recently published reports from LF Research, community updates, December deals from LF Training & Certification, and more.
- Overture Maps Foundation launches
- Intent to form the Open Metaverse Foundation
- In focus: Annual Report 2022
- Training & Certification: December deals are here!
- New research: State of Open Source in Financial Services, Data and Storage Trends, and WebAssembly for Legal Professionals
- Upcoming events
- LFX: Manage and understand your corporate CLAs with EasyCLA
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Linux Foundation project news and updates
- Follow us
Overture Maps Foundation launches
The LF is pleased to announce the launch of the Overture Maps Foundation, a collaborative effort to enable current and next-generation map products by creating reliable, easy-to-use, and interoperable open map data as a shared asset that can strengthen mapping services worldwide. The initiative was founded by Amazon Web Services (AWS), Meta, Microsoft, and TomTom and is open to all communities with a common interest in building open map data. To get involved, please visit https://overturemaps.org
Intent to form the Open Metaverse Foundation
In October, we brought top experts from diverse sectors together with leaders from many of the projects across the Linux Foundation to discuss what it will take to transform the emerging concept of the Metaverse from promise to reality. This was only the beginning. As the next step in this amazing journey, we welcome the Open Metaverse Foundation (OMF) into the Linux Foundation as another piece of the puzzle. With your help, we can realize the promise of the open Metaverse. Learn more about what’s next, join us, and get involved at https://www.openmv.org
In focus: Annual Report 2022
In 2022 the Linux Foundation, in collaboration with our community, engaged in new initiatives to secure the software supply chain, enabled innovations with social, economic, regional, and environmental impact, supported open industry standards, and continued to embrace diversity and inclusivity. Read the report today.
Training & Certification: December deals are here!
Give yourself the gift of learning. Save 35% sitewide through Dec 20th!
Interested in reading our Training newsletter? Click here to subscribe.
New research: State of Open Source in Financial Services, Data and Storage Trends, and WebAssembly for Legal Professionals
LF Research has published three new additions to our library of insights into open source, and we couldn’t be more excited about each of them!
This set of research covers the Data and Storage industry, Financial Services, and the legal considerations when using WebAssembly. Here’s a brief summary of each:
The 2022 State of Open Source in Financial Services
In its second year, the State of Open Source in Financial Services report uses empirical methods to identify various topics related to open source aspirations, consumption, contribution, and leadership, in addition to obstacles and challenges faced by the financial services industry. The report draws on survey data, industry data, and insights culminating from a series of qualitative interviews and makes year-over-year comparisons to the industry in 2021.
WebAssembly (Wasm) for Legal Professionals
This report is a starting point for discussing what open source license compliance for WebAssembly could look like and its potential for implementation in several ways. It intends to highlight potential license compliance pitfalls and help establish a common understanding of the facts, which may present potential legal issues.
Data and Storage Trends 2022
In July 2022, the SODA Foundation, in partnership with Linux Foundation Research, launched a worldwide survey to understand evolving data and storage trends. This report uses survey data to guide end users and vendors on important issues, helps them be better equipped to make decisions, improve their products, and assists the SODA Foundation in establishing new technical directions.
The “Zen Zone” at Open Source Summit Japan 2022. All of us at the LF wish you a safe, happy, and restful holiday season!
LFX Mentorship Showcase (Jan 18-19) Virtual
CloudNativeSecurityCon North America (Feb 1-2) Seattle
Cassandra Summit (Mar 13-14) San Jose + Virtual
To register (for in-person attendance or virtual), please view our full calendar of events here, and be sure to subscribe to our events newsletter. Check out our Flickr stream for photos of past events!
LFX: Manage and understand your corporate CLAs with EasyCLA
Managing and understanding your company’s Contributor License Agreement (CLA) environment can be complex for a company administrator. Different projects have different CLAs and potentially different individuals who will manage these CLAs. But…
- What projects are you contributing to under a CLA?
- Who from your company can manage and sign these agreements?
- Who are the covered employees we have allowed access to contribute through these agreements?
These are all valuable questions to understand when managing your company’s open source contributions, and scrolling through various documents and email threads can become cumbersome. EasyCLA allows Organizations to answer better, manage, and understand these questions. Read the blog post here!
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
LF community attendees enjoying sushi at Open Source Summit Japan 2022
- Open Mainframe Project: Neurodivergency and the mainframe (video)
- Diversity Scholarships are offered for events. For more eligibility information and how to apply, please visit the individual event’s website (all listed here), click the “Attend” tab, and select the “Registration Scholarships” option.
- The Linux Foundation’s Travel Fund enables open source developers and community members to attend events they would otherwise be unable to attend due to a lack of funding. We emphasize funding applicants from historically underrepresented or untapped groups and those of lower socioeconomic status. Please click here for more information and to apply.
- Fall 2022 sessions are wrapping up, and we are getting ready for the upcoming LFX Mentorship Showcase -- an opportunity for graduating mentees of the LFX Mentorship program to showcase the work they completed during their session term. This virtual event is free to attend and open to anyone who would like to learn more about the experiences of LF Mentorship Program mentees, find out more about some of the programs our projects are working on, recruit new talent, and support new developer contributions.
- LFX Mentorship Platform is hosting UMASS Lowell COMP.5170 Introduction to Linux Kernel Development in collaboration with Red Hat and Kernel Development Learning Pipeline. Students will receive university credit and an LFX Mentorship certificate.
Linux Foundation project news and updates
- The PX4 Autopilot celebrates its latest stable release, v1.13. It comes with new features, bug fixes, and expanded hardware support, making it our best to date.
- Bosch joins the Civil Infrastructure Platform
- OpenHPC is pleased to announce our latest release, version 2.6. This is an update release for the OHPC 2.x branch targeting support for RHEL8 variants and OpenSUSE Leap 15.
- First Time Ever! OpenAPI Track at APIDays Paris – Join us!
- NextArch Foundation Completes its First Year with Over 68 Collaborators, Three Sandbox Projects, and its First Global Summit
Green Software Foundation
- The State of Green Software will be the first report to map the new green software ecosystem, from key stakeholders to regulatory frameworks, from impact metrics to academic literature, open source tooling to actionable design patterns. Please participate in our 5-minute survey before December 31! We're also offering a free course in Green Software so you can get involved as a practitioner to learn to build, maintain and run greener applications.
- Hyperledger Foundation Adds Five Members, New Certified Service Provider and Verifiable Credential (VC) Format Technology Project
LF AI & Data Foundation
- Celebrates reaching the milestone of over 18K developers contributing to its hosted projects, coming from over 525 organizations
- Marked 11 new projects joining the Foundation since Jan 2022 - continuing its momentum of adding one new project every month
- Released a new report on the convergence of AI, BI, and Data
- Released a new report in collaboration with LF Research: Releasing Internal Code into a New Open Source Project: A Guide for Stakeholders
- Our interactive landscape is now an industry reference to the open source AI & Data ecosystem capturing over 330 key, and critical open source projects
- 30 organizations now host projects with LF AI & Data - some host more than one!
- Announcing PyTorch 2.0
- The PyTorch Conference was held on December 2 in New Orleans. We had 936 total registrations, including virtual and in-person.
- Stemming from the release of PyTorch 2.0 at the PyTorch Conference, we saw 11 earned media articles in publications like VentureBeat, SDTimes, Foss Life, Heise, and others. Social conversation among the PyTorch and AI community was also strong, highlighting the new features that PyTorch 2.0 will bring.
- Get Started with PyTorch 2.0 Summary and Overview
- IBM Research and PyTorch collaborated to further machine learning in the cloud and built an open-source operator to enhance/improve PyTorch deployments on the Red Hat Openshift platform: IBM Research helps extend PyTorch to enable open-source cloud-native machine learning
- Berkeley researchers released a whitepaper and a new library, Imitation, an open-source implementation of imitation and reward learning algorithms in PyTorch: Imitation: Clean Imitation Learning Implementations
- In this video from the recent Open Source Summit Europe, Lucian Balea & Benoît Jeanson of RTE discuss “Open Source Enabled Power Grid Management Architecture.”
- And another video from Open Source Summit Europe sees Kai-Uwe Hermann & Piet Gömpel of PIONIX GmbH present a “Technical Introduction to EVerest: Open Source Firmware for EV Charging Stations.”
- LF Energy and the OpenEEmeter project team are pleased to re-launch the CalTRACK working group to incorporate updates to the methods and code and formally enfold CalTRACK under the OpenEEmeter project umbrella.
- Contributors to several LF Energy projects successfully applied to host an Energy devroom in person and virtually at the upcoming FOSDEM event on 4 February in Brussels. The event is free to attend.
- LF Energy hosted our 2022 Annual Meeting on November 17. Those who missed it are welcome to view the recording.
- The new release 2022.0.0 of PowSyBl is now live. PowSyBl (Power System Blocks) is an open source library dedicated to electrical grid modeling and simulation.
- OperatorFabric is a modular, extensible, industrial-strength, and field-tested platform for systems operators. OperatorFabric includes several features essential for electricity, water, and other utility operations. The project has just been updated to release version 3.11.0 with several bug fixes and new features.
- Release version 0.10.0 of the CoMPAS Core Project is now available. CoMPAS aims to develop open source software components related to IEC 61850 model implementation, specifically for profile management and configuration of a power industry Protection Automation and Control System (PACS).
- Join FinOps pioneers across the globe at our 2nd annual FinOps X conference. With 1,000+ FinOps practitioners and 100+ industry speakers, this conference is for people passionate about collaborating, solving problems, and furthering their FinOps practice.
- If you are knowledgeable about FinOps and like public presentations, submit a proposal to become a speaker at FinOps X. All approved speakers will receive a free ticket to the conference.
- Our 3rd year of the State of FinOps survey is open. Take the 20-minute survey to give valuable FinOps data back to the community.
- We released FinOps for Containers training. This course provides a top-down review of Container environments for engineers working with Container infrastructures.
- Unit Economics working group launched version 2 of their playbook, featuring new types of unit metrics, how to define the first metric, key motivations for benchmarking performance, and more best practices on getting started.
- Launched a new guide: FinOps & TBM: Navigating Co-Existing Disciplines. The guide defines key terminology related to the intersection of FinOps and TBM, explains relevant taxonomy, and outlines capabilities that every practitioner must be familiar with.
- Foundations of RISC-V Assembly Programming (LFD117x) course launches for hobbyists and professional software developers who want to understand the basics of RISC-V assembly language.
- New RISC-V Certification launches to help those seeking entry-level RISC-V roles or to transition from another architecture
- Catch up on all the highlights of RISC-V summit at the RISC-V news page
- OpenSSF Membership Exceeds 100 with Many New Members Dedicated to Securing Open Source Software
- Hosted OpenSSF Day at Open Source Summit Japan
- Free OpenSSF Developing Secure Software Training Course Now Available in Japanese
- OpenSSF Expands Supply Chain Integrity Efforts with S2C2F - Secure Supply Chain Consumption Framework
- SigstoreCon Highlights
- Apples and apples? Comparing Approaches to Measuring Criticality and Risk at the OpenSSF
- Contributor Q&A: Christopher “CRob” Robinson, Director of Security Communications, Intel Corporation
- Meet a Maintainer: Naveen Srinivasan, Software Engineer, Endor Labs
- Announcing Delta Lake 2.2.0 on Apache Spark™ 3.3: Try out the latest release today!
- New Release: Delta Lake Rust 0.5.0 had 42 contributors and 34 new contributors!
- New Release: Delta Lake Rust Lang API python bindings v0.6.4
- Video: D3L2: The Genesis of Delta Rust with QP Hou
- Video: D3L2: Discussing Data Integration with Airbyte and Delta Lake
- You can now watch or read the latest Delta Lake news in our new weekly newsletter, Last Week in a Byte on Delta Lake. Subscribe on LinkedIn or watch on YouTube..or both!
- BigDATAwire announced the winners of its seventh annual Readers’ and Editors’ Choice Awards, and Delta Lake 2.0 was selected as a data and AI open-source project to watch. Check it out here!
- Brooklyn Data recently released Setting the Table: Benchmarking Open Table Formats ran a set of comprehensive workloads against Delta Lake and Apache Iceberg. They found that the write workloads were 1.5-3x faster and the read workloads 7-8x faster for Delta Lake than Apache Iceberg.
Linux, Embedded, IoT, and Mainframe
- Bosch and XPENG Motors join the ELISA Project to Strengthen their Commitment to Safety-Critical Applications in Automobiles
- What it takes to employ Linux in safety applications: An Interview with Shuah Khan
- Linux in Aerospace: A Personal Journey
- Chester IoT Gateway: Zephyr RTOS for the win
- Ac6-Training: Real-time Programming using Zephyr
- Zephyr @ Open Source Summit Europe (Videos)
- Calling all COBOL community vendors and patrons!
- Neurodivergency and the mainframe (video)
- I am a Mainframer: Enzo Damato (podcast & video)
- Feilong: The Open Source API for z/VM Automation (video)
Media coverage of LF projects
- A new open source project is designed to tackle the need for immutability and atomic upgrades
- Kubescape adds vulnerability scanning to its security capabilities
- A summary of Open Telemetry, one of the faster-growing CNCF projects
- Opinion piece by WASMCloud founder. “Can WebAssembly (Wasm) ease the pain of cloud-native development?”
- Coverage in ZDNET about the Fintech Open Source in Finance Forum
- The LF’s Hilary Carter talks about OSS in finance in the American Banker
- Coverage of FDC3 compliance with open source standards by vendors
- FINOS GM Gabriele Columbro talks to NASDAQ Trade Talk about OSS and the financial system
- Verizon using Hyperledger Fabric blockchain as a dispute resolution system with vendors/customers
- Researchers using Hyperledger blockchain to validate communication among devices on the electric grid, improving grid resilience and security
- Coverage in Network World of SONiC-powered products as the project starts its run at Enterprise Networking.
- OpenSSF passes 100 members
- How CITI uses OpenSSF tooling and projects to manage 3 million external package dependencies
- A summary of how the open source community improved software supply chain security in 2022
- Coverage of the Endor Labs research on analyzing the criticality of open source software first posted in the OpenSSF blog
- Article about how to fix problems with the National Vulnerabilities Database (which is crucial for software supply chain security)
- Coverage of PyTorch in Nature: “Construction motion data library: an integrated motion dataset for on-site activity recognition”
- PyTorch 2.0 release coverage in VentureBeat
- Coverage in the Financial Times and The Register about how firms are coalescing around RISC-V to combat techno-nationalism and chip sanctions
- In Asian semiconductor information news, Digitimes cites RISC-V as one of the key trends of 2023
- RISC-V dev boards for $11, $6!
- SiFive’s RISC-V SOC for laptops mentioned in this article as part of a growing list of core options
- More good RISC-V work from SiFive
- Coverage in The Register on how RISC-V chips targeted at very large tech companies building their own servers.
- Tools/methods to make sure your RISC-V core is secure
- XMOS announces it will build its next-gen microcontrollers with RISC-V
Follow the Linux Foundation on social media to get all the latest info, updates on upcoming events, and breaking news and announcements from the global open source ecosystem. Follow us here: Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Cloud Computing Compliance and Security 2023 Projects Linux How-To Diversity & Inclusion Events Open Source Best Practices 2022 Cross Technology Open Source Training and Certification LFX Blockchain Research Legal Networking and Edge Blog Data Governance LF Energy LF Research OpenChain System Administration