Linux Foundation Newsletter: January 2023
The Linux Foundation | 26 January 2023
Welcome to 2023, Linux Foundation community! This month we’ve got plenty of exciting updates, including the launch of the Open Metaverse Foundation, a new Mentorship report from LF Research, January deals from LF Training & Certification, community news, and much more.
- In memory of Dr. Shuli Goodman: Colleague and open source champion
- Open Metaverse Foundation launches
- Training & Certification: New Year deals are here!
- Research spotlight: Mentorship
- LFX Mentorship
- LF projects at the World Economic Forum
- LF leaders reflect on COP27
- Upcoming events
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Linux Foundation project news and updates
- LF in the media
- Follow us
In memory of Dr. Shuli Goodman: Colleague and open source champion
Shortly after the new year, our colleague and LF Energy Founder and Executive Director, Dr. Shuli Goodman passed away from cancer. Shuli will be fondly remembered and sorely missed by all in our community, especially by her wife Karen, her son Dakota, her soul-sister Lucy, and the many young people she helped nurture and grow. Our hearts go out to them at this difficult time.
If you would like to leave a memorial message for Shuli, please submit a pull request on GitHub here. Her family would love to hear stories that reflect Shuli’s life and mission to achieve decarbonization targets through open source.
Should you wish to make a donation in support of the green energy revolution in Shuli’s memory, please do so here.
Open Metaverse Foundation launches
On January 19, we launched the Open Metaverse Foundation (OMF), setting the stage for practical, powerful progress in building immersive, global, scalable worlds together. A breadth of thought-leading organizations and open source communities have united to support this effort, including ChainHub Foundation, Cloud Native Computing Foundation, Futurewei, GenXP, Guangdong Digital Industry Research Institute, Hyperledger Foundation, LF Edge, LF Networking, OpenSDV, Open Voice Network, and Veriken, among others.
The OMF’s mission is to provide a collaboration space for developers, engineers, academics, and thought leaders who will work together to solve the difficult challenges of building an inclusive, global, vendor-neutral, and scalable Metaverse through open source software and open specifications.
Read our blog, “On the Path to an Open Metaverse,” and some of the coverage we’ve received from VentureBeat and Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols at Open Source Watch. Get the latest news and updates, including a live broadcast with OMF Executive Director Royal O’Brien on Wednesday, February 8, 10 AM PT, by subscribing to the OMF newsletter and following the community on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Training & Certification: New Year deals are here!
Resolve to learn new skills in 2023. Save 35% sitewide through January 31.
Interested in reading our Training newsletter? Click here to subscribe.
Research spotlight: Mentorship
LF Research has released a new report, Mentorship in Open Source, authored by LF Editorial Director Jason Perlow, which examines the intrinsic, economic, and career value of mentorship programs throughout the technology industry and among open source organizations such as the Linux Foundation. We’ve also published a blog that discusses why we need Mentorship programs at the Linux Foundation and summarizes some of the report’s key insights.
Want LF Research reports in your inbox? Click here to subscribe.
- LFX Mentorship Showcase was held on January 18. Graduating mentees of the LFX Mentorship program shared their open source journeys and showcased the work they completed during their session term. Please check out the video replay here!
- Applications are open for RISC-V mentorships. Apply for the NucleusRV and Caravan mentorships now!
- LFX Mentorship Platform is hosting UMASS Lowell COMP.5170 Introduction to Linux Kernel Development in collaboration with Red Hat and Kernel Development Learning Pipeline. Students will receive university credit and an LFX Mentorship certificate.
The Linux kernel Bug Fixing Spring 2023 is now taking applications. This is an opportunity to gain a much deeper knowledge of many different areas of the Linux kernel, fix kernel bugs, and contribute to the kernel.
LF projects at the World Economic Forum
The OpenWallet Foundation panel at the World Economic Forum in Davos
- Stakeholders from the OpenWallet Foundation hosted a panel discussion at Davos; watch the video here.
- At Davos, Hyperledger Foundation Executive Director Daniela Barbosa spoke to Blockchain Journal’s David Berlind about Enterprise Blockchain adoption.
LF leaders reflect on COP27
On 6-18 November 2022, representatives of the Linux Foundation and Hyperledger Foundation took part in the 27th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (COP27) in the Egyptian coastal city of Sharm el-Sheikh. In this LF blog, our sustainability project leaders share takeaways from the event and weigh in on the future of open source in sustainability.
Attendees at Open Source Summit Japan 2022, our first live event in the country since 2019
- CloudNativeSecurityCon North America (Feb 1-2, Seattle)
- The Linux Foundation Legal Summit (Feb 14-15, San Francisco)
- Academy Software Foundation Open Forum (Feb 16, Los Angeles)
- AGL All Member Meeting Spring (March 8-9, Berlin)
- Cassandra Summit (March 13-14, San Jose)
- AGL, RISC-V, Zephyr @ Embedded World (March 14-16, Nuremberg)
To register (for in-person attendance or virtual), please view our full calendar of events here, and be sure to subscribe to our events newsletter. Check out our Flickr stream for photos of past events!
Meet the LF Europe team at upcoming events
We’re launching into the new year with an exciting schedule of events.
Gabriele Columbro, ED of LF Europe, along with Hilary Carter, SVP Research and Communications, and Cailean Osbourne, LF Research contributor, will be speaking at OpenForum Europe’s EU Open Source Policy Summit 2023, produced in partnership with LF Europe, on Friday, February 3rd. This year’s theme is Europe’s Open Source Opportunities and will bring together senior stakeholders from the public and private sectors to discuss and hopefully inspire the policy agenda concerning OSS, from funding to security, in Europe and beyond.
Also, see us at FOSDEM on February 4-5 in Brussels! FOSDEM brings together thousands of free and open source software developers worldwide to meet, share ideas, and collaborate. This year, CNCF is delighted to support FOSDEM as an official sponsor, and various team members from the Linux Foundation will be speaking and hosting devrooms, including Embedded, Mobile & Automotive, Energy, and SBOM. Find us in person to exchange ideas about our various projects and communities. See the FOSDEM schedule here, and join us!
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
Attendees at the Diversity Empowerment Summit at OSS+ELC Dublin 2022
- Be sure to check out our new Diversity & Inclusivity resources page.
- Neurodivergency and the mainframe face similar challenges. Cynthia Coupe, CEO of Outreach Advocacy Resources and Services (OARS), Inc., shares how in this Open Mainframe blog and video.
- Diversity Scholarships are offered for events. For more eligibility information and how to apply, please visit the individual event’s website (all listed here), click the “Attend” tab, and select the “Registration Scholarships” option.
Linux Foundation project news and updates
Image: Created with DALL·E with permission from Ashwin Ramaswami
- Maintainer confidential: Opportunities and challenges of the ubiquitous but under-resourced Yocto Project
- Open source maintainers: What they need and how to support them
Call for Code
- Two new agricultural technology projects join the Call for Code community: OpenTempus provides long-term climate forecasts, and OpenHarvest provides insight into crops, fields, and yields.
TODO Group (OSPOs)
- Takeaways from the first OSPOlogyLive Share & Learn in 2023
- In collaboration with LF Networking, the Hyperledger Telecom Special Interest Group published a solution brief on the self-assessment of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) in telecom.
- As part of the announcement of the 2023 Hyperledger Technical Oversight Committee (TOC), Accenture’s Tracy Kuhrt (Chair) and Walmart’s Arun SM (Vice Chair) shared their takes on the role of the TOC, the year ahead, what technologies they are excited about and the value they see in being part of the Hyperledger community.
- Banque de France, HSBC, and IBM shared key findings from their testing of CBDC interoperability using distributed ledgers based on Hyperledger Fabric and R3’s Corda and the Weaver interoperability tool that is now part of Hyperledger Cacti.
- New case study: OpenSTEF Delivers Operational Forecasts at Hundreds of Grid Locations for Alliander
- Missed the 2022 LF Energy Annual Meeting? View the recording and see the slides.
- 2023 Live Events: LF Energy Summit Returns to Paris, New SustainabilityCon, and More
- Attending FOSDEM next month in Brussels? Energy Devroom Schedule Now Available
- Join LF Energy at State of Open Con 2023, Feb 7-8 in London
- 2023 Predictions: Open Networking, Edge, Access & Core: Read LF Networking GM Arpit Joshipura’s predictions and how he scored in 2022.
- Linux.com blog: Increasing 5G Quality of Experience (QoE) Using SONiC and Open Packet Broker
- LFN Developer & Testing Forum is happening virtually, February 13-16. Registration and Call for Topics are both open - submit today!
- Get behind the scenes with the 5G Super Blue Print to see how the magic happens. Watch the new video and read about the ONE Summit 2022 demo.
- ONAP has issued its latest release, Kohn (named in honor of the late Dan Kohn), which brings more O-RAN integration, CNF orchestration improvements, and intent-driven closed-loop autonomous networks
- Anuket’s Nile release is now available, bringing new functionality to operator infrastructure specifications, implementations, and open source infrastructure test suite development -- all under a single initiative.
- We’ve launched the 2023 State of FinOps survey. Take the survey to give valuable insight into the industry, including benchmarks around the Framework Capabilities.
- Do you live near Washington, D.C., and work with government agencies? Join FinOps Foundation on Feb 22 for our in-person community event to network and learn about the intersection of FinOps and government.
- Calling the European FinOps community! Join FinOps Community Day Europe for a full day of learning and connections on the water in Amsterdam on March 21.
- FinOps X is the official event of FinOps, happening in San Diego from June 27-30. Collaborate and further your FinOps practice with two days of mainstage content, breakout tracks, and networking.
- New Research into the State of Open Source in Financial Services Report Points to Growth: And that’s Welcome News for the FINOS Community
- Trade Talks interview with Gabriele Columbro
- Waltz Project Takes Home Top Finance Prize at OpenUK Awards
- Recap of Open Source in Finance Forum
- Thank you to everyone who joined us at the Open Source in Finance Forum NYC last month. We had over 500 people joining us on Wall Street for what has been the largest FINOS event on record. See the full event report, and don't miss the on-demand sessions available here. We will continue to add videos as they become available.
- Other resources post OSFF:
- OpenSSF Outlook Q1 2023 – How to avoid the next Log4Shell and other OSS security reflections: A summary of updates from the OpenSSF that you don’t want to miss, including a Log4Shell retrospective from Brian Behlendorf, News about our global engagement efforts focused on collaborating with leaders in the public and private sectors to further the ecosystem understanding of open source software security. A recap of our year that highlighted the many accomplishments of OpenSSF working groups and projects.
- Alpha-Omega Project First Year In Review, Plus New Funding Pledge –The Alpha-Omega Project celebrates and reviews its work in its first year and announces a new funding pledge from Amazon Web Services (AWS) to provide $2.5 million in funding for the project.
- Securing Your Software Supply Chain Without Changing Your DevOps Workflow – Case study by Tobias Trabelsi of DB Schenker of using Sigstore to secure software supply chains in the DevOps process.
- Takeaways from OpenSSF Day Japan – Major points discussed during OpenSSF Day Japan that explored ongoing efforts to improve the security of OSS.
Zephyr, ELISA, Open Mainframe
- Zephyr Developer Summit 2023 (Prague, Czech Republic + virtual) Call for Proposals is now open. Submit your Zephyr RTOS topics today.
- Case Study: Adhoc Networks Provides Rich Smart Sensors with Memfault and Zephyr RTOS
- Shefali Sharma, a senior student at the Meerut Institute of Engineering and Technology in India, shares her experience with the ELISA Mentorship. Don’t miss her presentation at the LFX Mentorship Sponsorship on January 18-19.
- Steven H. VanderLeest, Software Technical Lead at Boeing and the ELISA Aerospace Working Group Chair, shares his personal journey with Linux in Aerospace.
- Bankdata, one of Denmark's largest specialist IT services providers that provides core services to banks, leverages several Open Mainframe Project technologies to power these services. Learn more about how they engage with and rely on the COBOL Programming Course, COBOL Check, and Zowe.
Open 3D Foundation
- Join us for a free live roundtable on Tuesday, February 7 at 10 AM PT to explore current trends in mobile graphics and gaming, the challenges developers face, and the benefits of participating in an open source working group as we build toward a mobile future. Register today!
- Ask the Expert Series – Check out our Ask the Expert series from last month on our PyTorch YouTube Channel. Hear from engineers directly on topics like debugging, TorchDynamo, and TorchRec.
- PyTorch + Microsoft Azure – We continued our blog series with Microsoft Azure on Medium about faster training and inference using the Azure Container for PyTorch in Azure ML.
- Posters from PyTorch Conference now live – See what the PyTorch community has been working on, as presented at our December conference.
- PyTorch Trace Analysis for the Masses – Developers at Meta have open-sourced Holistic Trace Analysis (HTA), a performance analysis library for PyTorch users. The latest PyTorch blog post shows how HTA uses PyTorch Profiler traces to debug performance bottlenecks and provides insights into distributed training jobs.
- OpenJS World 2023 – OpenJS World 2023 is on and will be co-located with Open Source Summit North America this year in Vancouver, Canada! We will also host the OpenJS Cross Project Council collaboration summit on May 9, 2023. Speaker submissions are now available for the event.
- Node.js Security Progress Report – The December edition of the Node.js monthly security progress report is live. Check out what the team is looking forward to in 2023!
- Inclusion and Diversity in Open Source Fireside Chat – Hear from OpenJS Executive Director Robin Ginn and OpenJS board member Paula Paul from NearForm about keeping open source inclusive and diverse.
- Read about the incredible technical and market momentum RISC-V achieved in 2022 and how we will strengthen our position in 2023, including a review of Summit 2022 and links to all the most exciting sessions!
- 2022 was a great year for Delta Lake. Check out this full 2022 recap of the Delta Lake Project!
- Join us for the next Delta Lake Community Office Hours on Thursday, January 26, 2023, featuring Michael Armbrust, Distinguished Software Engineer at Databricks and one of the founders of Delta Lake. RSVP here!
- Christina Taylor, who leads the Next Generation Communications Platform at Carvana, recently published the blog “Open Format in an Omni-cloud World: From EDW targets to Structured Streaming on Delta Lake,” which showcases her team’s migration from a data warehouse (Big Query) to Delta Lake using structured streaming.
- At Linux Foundation’s Open Source in Finance Forum, Antoine Amend and Ashley Trainer discuss the FINOS Legend project as part of the session Modernize Regulatory Reporting: Get Ready for T+1 Settlement, where they include a call out for Delta Lake to harmonize with open data standards.
- Get a guided introduction to MLflow Recipes! Learn how MLflow Recipes fits into the larger MLflow ecosystem and work through the setup and execution of your first MLflow Recipes project. Get started!
LF in the media
- The Pinecil, a RISC-V-powered smart portable soldering iron
- How RISC-V is enabling the Internet of Space
- RISC-V is one of the MIT Technology Review’s “Ten Breakthrough Technologies for 2023”
- Selecting the right RISC-V Core
- China is turning to RISC-V as one way of dealing with US tech policy
- The EU is bullish on RISC-V, committing €270 million to a chiplet project for creating novel HPC infrastructure on open source ISA semis
- Kubernetes-related security projects to watch in 2023
- Android users interested in buying a RISC-V phone
- Why PyTorch is beating TensorFlow in adoption
- UCLA researchers create PyTorch library to accelerate climate research by making state-of-the-art data and models accessible and easier to use
- SBOM quality varies widely across projects. OpenSSF mentions and links
- Kubescape Kubernetes security project accepted into CNCF Sandbox
- Analysis of what 2023 holds for Kubernetes
Coverage of Unravel Data joining FinOps — Link
Autodesk releases Open RV on Academy Software Foundation Hub
SBOM explainer that mentions SPDX and LF
- Sigstore Python tooling release covered
Follow the Linux Foundation on social media to get all the latest info, updates on upcoming events, and breaking news and announcements from the global open source ecosystem. Follow us here: Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
2023 Compliance and Security Cloud Computing Projects Linux How-To Diversity & Inclusion Open Source Open Source Best Practices 2022 Cross Technology Training and Certification Newsletter 2024 LFX AI LF Research Legal Research Networking and Edge Topic: Data Blog Data Governance Featured LF Energy Linux Linux Foundation Open Mainframe Open Models OpenChain System Administration Topic: Security eBPF generative AI kernel license compliance maintainer techtalentsurvey