Linux Foundation Newsletter: May 2023
The Linux Foundation | 18 May 2023
In this edition, catch up on the new LF Connectivity project, Open Source Summit North America announcements, the 2023 Tech Talent Report, four new LF Research surveys, LFX Mentorship news, and more.
Training & Certification deals
Continue your education, invest in yourself, and save up to 50% on training courses and certifications through May 23rd. Shop now!
Interested in reading our Training newsletter? Click here to subscribe.
New “LF Connectivity” project to improve enhanced access to networks
The Linux Foundation, in collaboration with Meta, has announced a new open source project, LF Connectivity, designed to advance technologies that will accelerate network and connectivity applications. Under the auspices of the Linux Foundation— as the network ecosystem's open source center of gravity—LF Connectivity will address connectivity challenges within high-bandwidth fixed and mobile connectivity, sharing its home with other leading open-source networking projects.
In collaboration with industry partners, Meta is making significant contributions to the LF Connectivity project by introducing three initial sub-projects: Terragraph, Open M-Plane, and Maveric:
These contributions by Meta aim to advance mobile wireless connectivity and network optimization, providing operators with greater flexibility and efficiency in deploying their networks.
LF Connectivity's vision is to create a sustainable open ecosystem that will enable various communication service providers to leverage open source tools and technologies to meet the performance and quality of experience requirements of emerging applications.
In addition to Meta’s significant contributions, supporting organizations include AMD, Cambium Networks, Capgemini, Edgecore Networks, Siklu Communications, University of Delhi, VIAVI, and Virginia Tech are among the supporting organizations for this initiative.
- Video (Terragraph): Why We Build: Connectivity in New York City
- Video (Terragraph): Why we Build: Meta Connectivity in Alaska
- Website: www.lfconnectivity.org
Participate in Linux Foundation Research surveys
Image: Hilary Carter, Linux Foundation SVP of Research and Communications, addresses the audience during her keynote during Open Source Summit North America 2023
Hyperledger Brand Survey
- In collaboration with Hyperledger, Linux Foundation Research is conducting a brand awareness study to measure familiarity and understanding of business blockchain technology, the Hyperledger tenets, and the individual frameworks and tools developed within it. This survey data will help guide Hyperledger and its surrounding ecosystem in its mission to advance enterprise-grade blockchain adoption through open source collaboration.
World of Open Source: Global Spotlight 2023 Survey
- Take the Linux Foundation’s World of Open Source: Global Spotlight 2023 Survey and share your perspective on the state of open source worldwide. The survey will explore regional open source trends and investigate using and adopting open source technologies and best practices.
2023 Open Source Program Office (OSPO) Survey
- The TODO Group and Linux Foundation Research are conducting a survey as part of a research project on the prevalence and outcomes of open source programs and similar open source initiatives operating across the globe.
OpenSSF Software Security Awareness Survey
- Participate in the OpenSSF Software Security Awareness Survey to share your views on initiatives like Sigstore, Alpha-Omega, Best Practices Badge, Scorecard, and SLSA.
Open Source Summit North America in Vancouver made a big splash
Image: Amak, the 930+ kg (2000 lb) Steller sea lion, greets OSSNA attendees at the event reception at Vancouver Aquarium on May 11, 2023.
From May 8 to May 12, more than 2000 people from the open source community and over 1400 virtual attendees gathered in Vancouver, British Columbia, for the Linux Foundation's premier annual conference, Open Source Summit North America (OSSNA), and related community events. It was an exciting week!
- Community events like the Linux Security Summit, OpenSSF Day North America, Linux Storage, Filesystem, MM & BPF Summit, CD Con / GitOps Con, Spinnaker Summit, and Open JS Collaborator Summit kicked off the week.
- OSSNA featured over a dozen micro-conferences that focused on critical technologies, topics, and issues in open source. These micro-conferences were presented as tracks during the summit. Some notable first-time events included Sustainability Con, which addressed technological solutions for decarbonizing the global economy and combating climate change, and the inaugural Open Metaverse Summit, where industry leaders explored the Metaverse using open technologies.
- Linux Foundation Research and LF Training and Certification released the 2023 State of Tech Talent Report, which sheds light on the priorities, challenges, and changes this year brings to the tech workforce.
Image: Speed Mentoring Session at Open Source Summit North America 2023 in Vancouver
- Summer 2023 LFX Mentorships are accepting applications. Projects include CNCF, GraphQL, Hyperledger, LF Networking, Linux Kernel, OpenHPC, Open Mainframe Project, and RISC-V. Plan to visit the LFX Mentorship Program site to check eligibility, browse and apply.
- BLOG: Applying for and working on LFX Mentorship at CNCF Kyverno Project: A first-person perspective.
- BLOG: LFX CNCF Mentorship Project 2022 graduate talks about Kyverno in a blog published on The New Stack - Using the Kyverno CLI to Write Policy Test Cases - The New Stack
- LF Live: Mentorship Series webinar titled Tools and Techniques to Debug an Embedded Linux System with Sergio Prado, Embedded Labworks recording now available for viewing.
- LF Live: Mentorship Series is hosting a webinar titled Debugging Linux Memory Management Subsystem with Khalid Aziz, Consulting Linux Kernel Engineer, Oracle.
Image: Attendees enjoying a coffee break at the Vancouver Convention Centre during Open Source Summit North America
LF Energy Summit, June 1-2, Paris, France
R/Medicine, June 5–9,Virtual
LFN Developer & Testing Forum, June 6–8, Virtual
PrestoCon Day, June 7, Virtual
KubeDay Israel, June 19, Tel Aviv, Israel
Cloud Foundry Day, Jun 21, Heidelberg, Germany + Virtual
Xen Project Developer & Design Summit, June 24–26, Prague, Czech Republic + Virtual
Embedded Open Source Summit, June 27–30, Prague, Czech Republic + Virtual
Confidential Computing Summit, June 29, San Francisco, California
To register (for in-person attendance or virtual), please view our full calendar of events here, and be sure to subscribe to our events newsletter. Check out our Flickr stream for photos of past events!
Diversity, equity, and inclusion
Image: Quiana Casandra Berry from Red Hat speaking at Diversity Empowerment Summit 2023 in Vancouver
- Open Mainframe Project is celebrating AAPI Heritage Month. You can also celebrate it by donating to an organization that advances the AAPI community, asking your AAPI colleagues and team members to share their stories, and even ordering lunch from a local restaurant to highlight a part of the culture.
- Missed the Empowering LGBTQIA+ webinar? Don't worry, catch the replay! Led by DEI consultant Jess Pettitt, the webinar featured renowned panelists who discussed the importance of community, self-expression, and relationship-building for creating safe spaces. Dan Brown from LF Energy shared insights on the impact of cultural polarization and the significance of inclusivity in the tech ecosystem and beyond.
- Check out our new Diversity & Inclusivity resources page; Diversity Scholarships are offered for events. For more eligibility information and how to apply, please visit the individual event’s website (all listed here), click the “Attend” tab, and select the “Registration Scholarships” option.
- The Linux Foundation's Travel Fund provides open source developers and community members with financial support to attend events they may not have been able to otherwise and prioritizes those from underrepresented or lower socioeconomic groups. Learn more about the fund and how to apply.
Linux Foundation project news and updates
Image: A diverse conference track ribbon worn by an Open Source Summit North America 2023 attendee
Overture Maps Foundation
- LF Editorial Director Jason Perlow interviews Marc Prioleau, the new Executive Director of Overture Maps Foundation.
- Fatih Degirmenci, CD Foundation Executive Director, made exciting announcements at cdCon + GitOpsCon in Vancouver:
- The fourth edition of the State of Continuous Delivery Report is now available and covered by DevOps.com and ITPro Today.
- CD Foundation welcomed four new members: NGINX, Prodvana, Salesforce, and Testkube.
- Significant momentum has been observed in open source projects CDEvents, Ortelius, and Tekton.
- An upcoming certification, GitOps Associate (CGOA), is on the horizon.
- The 2023 CDF Community Award Winners have been announced, with eBay recognized as the Top End User.
Cloud Native Computing Foundation
- Save the date for KubeDay Israel in Tel Aviv, 19 June 2023. Find the full schedule here!
- Submit to speak at KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Open Source Summit China in Shanghai 26 - 28 September 2023.
- Delta Lake rust lang API v0.11 released with delete operations, write command improvements, Databricks Unity Catalog support, and unit tests. Check out the release notes.
- Join the Data + AI Summit in San Francisco on June 26-29, 2023, or virtually on June 28-29, and explore the world of data. Use code ETLINUX400 to save $400 on the full conference pass (expires 6/2). Learn more.
- Upgrade to Delta 2.3 for exciting features and benefits. Discover why and how to upgrade here.
- Save the Date for the PX4 Developer Summit 2023, October 21-22, in New Orleans.
- Philipp Ahmann (Chair of the ELISA Project TSC at Robert Bosch GmbH) and Sudip Mukherjee (Member of the Tools Working Group at Codethink Ltd) discuss the ELISA Project's implementation of Continuous Integration (CI) in the automotive use case.
- Shuah Khan (Linux Fellow at the Linux Foundation and member of the ELISA Project TSC) provides insights into the execution of OpenAPS commands on Linux in the ELISA blog.
- Registration prices for LF Energy Summit in Paris, 1-2 June, will increase on Saturday.
- LF Energy has launched a new website with improved navigation, functionality, and refreshed content.
- FlexMeasures version 0.13 is now available, featuring Overlay Charts.
- PyPowSyBl project released version 0.22.0, giving Python developers access to the PowSyBl 2023.1.0 Java framework.
- OperatorFabric released version 3.14.0 with new features and bug fixes.
- LF Energy summarized a report on the environmental impact of digital transformation by Entreprises pour l’Environnement.
- The schedule for LF Energy Embedded Summit on June 30, alongside Embedded Open Source Summit, was announced.
- SEAPATH project graduated to the Early Adoption phase, showcasing growth in contributors and adoption.
- Chargebyte's release of open source software for bi-directional charging covered by Elektrive.net as part of LF Energy's EVerest project.
- LF Energy Governing Board Chair Lucian Balea writes about the importance of increasing the hiring of developers and technical talent in the energy sector.
- LF Energy's Dan Brown and Savoir-faire Linux's Christophe Villemer discussed energy transition challenges and the role of open source in addressing them on SiliconAngle's theCUBE at the Open Source Summit in Vancouver.
- Prince Singh, Architect at Alliander, and Benoît Jeanson, R&D Project Manager at RTE, sat down with Swapnil Bhartiya of TFIR to discuss the LF Energy Functional Architecture and how it makes it easier for anybody in the world to identify solutions that already exist and how they can be integrated into their systems.
- Join FinOps X, the premier conference for professionals seeking to advance their FinOps career, expand their knowledge, and network with practitioners worldwide.
- Explore the latest agenda featuring insightful keynotes from IT executives at JPMorgan, Equifax, Target, and a Cloud Billing VP Panel featuring Google, Microsoft, and Oracle.
- Fidelity has joined FINOS, strengthening the community.
- Save the Date: June 14 Open House event in London and June 15 member exclusive event. Registration details are available.
- Register now for OSFF (Open Source in Finance Forum) with early bird pricing of $275 until August 18th.
- The approval of the Zenith Emerging Technologies SIG will foster new open source innovative projects in FINOS through a shared innovation model.
- Consensus 2023 witnessed the addition of six new members to the Hyperledger Foundation.
- The speaker's corner of the booth featured over a dozen members sharing their deployment stories.
- The Hyperledger DLT Landscape, inspired by the CNCF Landscape, was officially launched and created by BTP.
- Daniela Barbosa, Executive Director of Hyperledger Foundation, delivered a keynote at the WomenTech Global Conference on leveraging open-source and Web3 technologies to empower and promote equality.
- SITA introduced a Digital Passport Pilot program at Aruba's International Airport, utilizing Hyperledger open-source code developed by Indicio for enhanced interoperability.
- India is developing a national blockchain infrastructure, starting with deploying Hyperledger Fabric and Hyperledger Sawtooth as the initial DLTs.
- Read Si Chen's blog on Blockchain and the Energy Transition and his new book Sustainable Oil and Gas with Blockchain, due this summer.
- The OpenJS Foundation has received a significant one-time investment from the Sovereign Tech Fund, supported by the German government. The investment will be utilized to enhance infrastructure and security for critical projects.
- The OpenJS Foundation warmly welcomes four new members to the Board of Directors and announces the re-election of three board directors. Further details can be found in our blog post.
Open 3D Engine (O3DE)
- O3DE 23.05 Release brings exciting enhancements for game creators and robotics simulation developers, improving usability, stability, and authoring experience. Discover the latest updates.
- Jumpstart new game projects with the Multiplayer Sample Game, offering client and dedicated server reference implementations of common game elements. Give it a try!
- O3DE's integration with Robot Operating System (ROS) through the ROS2 Gem expands opportunities for robotics simulation developers, offering tools, components, and assets. Experience increased stability and new features.
- Listen to a panel discussion with AWS, Heroic Robots, Huawei, Open Robotics, and Robotec.ai to explore how the O3DE community tackles challenging robotics issues.
- Learn how to implement custom editor state effects using the Editor Mode Visual Feedback system in O3DE in this informative blog.
- PyTorch Docathon announced: a hackathon-style event to improve documentation with community involvement. Registration is open; event dates: May 31-June 15.
- Introducing Hidet, a deep learning compiler for efficient model serving. Ideal for PyTorch users seeking improved inference performance and optimized custom operators.
- Registration and call for proposals for PyTorch Conference 2023 are now open. The event is scheduled for October 16-17 in San Francisco, California.
- Save the date for the RISC-V Summit on November 7-8, 2023, in Santa Clara.
- The RISC-V Advocate program is now accepting applications for 2023, providing an opportunity for RISC-V enthusiasts to contribute to global momentum and adoption.
- RISC-V Summit Europe will occur in Barcelona from June 6-8. Check out the schedule of talks and register now.
- Discover the diverse RISC-V member ecosystem, which has already shipped over 10 billion cores. Explore our membership tiers tailored to deliver value for every organization.
- Omkhar Arasaratnam joins as the new General Manager, while Brian Behlendorf transitions to CTO, focusing on technical and policy challenges in securing the software supply chain.
- OpenSSF expands membership with Hitachi, Lockheed Martin, Salesforce, and SAP, and receives $5 million in funding for the Alpha-Omega Project from Microsoft and Google.
- Community presentations on SLSA, vulnerability disclosures, Scorecard, Sigstore, Best Practices Badge, and developer tooling at OpenSSF Day and SupplyChainSecurityCon.
- The 2023 Technical Advisory Council (TAC) and Security Community Individual Representative (SCIR) announced by OpenSSF.
- Save the date for the second OSS Security Meetup in Japan on June 2nd in Tokyo, hosted by OpenSSF members.
- Getting to Know the Open Source Vulnerability Format (OSV) by Oliver Chang, Google, and Kate Catlin, GitHub
- How I Got Involved in the OpenSSF by Eddie Knight of Sonatype
- Distinguish between Source and Vendor by David A. Wheeler of the Linux Foundation
- Assessing Product Risk Using SBOMs and OpenSSF Scorecard by Daniel Nebenzahl of Scribe Security
- Spotlight on OpenSSF Board Member featuring Brian Fox, Co-Founder and CTO, Sonatype
- SBOMs, So Far, So Good, So What? By Vincent Danen, Red Hat, and Tracy Ragan, DeployHub
- The Software Package Data Exchange (SPDX) project has unveiled the SPDX 3.0 release candidate, a major milestone in expanding this open standard to cover a wider range of use cases. SPDX 3.0 introduces enhancements for transparency in AI/ML applications, training datasets, and secure supply chain infrastructure. This release greatly simplifies software licensing compliance and enhances the modularity of the specification.
TODO Group (OSPOs)
- Interview with TODO Group’s Ana Jiménez Santamaria on Girl Code Coffee Chat. Naturally, the topic is open source!
- The third OSPO Share & Learn micro-conference will be held in Germany, catering to European regional needs to implement Open Source Program Offices (OSPOs) effectively. Join OSPOlogy Live, co-organized by OSPO at SAP, TODO, InnerSourceCommons, LF Energy, OpenChain, SPDX, CHAOSS, and OpenSSF projects. Register now.
- LFN's inaugural "ONE Summit Regional Days" event was co-located with Open Source Summit North America in Vancouver, BC, on May 9—community members from Telus, Pantheon.TECH, Mitre, and LF Networking shared insights on leveraging LFN projects in deployment. Access sessions via the Open Source Summit virtual platform.
- Save the date for the LFN Developer & Testing Forum (D&TF) on June 6-8, held virtually. Register and submit topic proposals now.
- DARPA revealed details about utilizing the 5G Super Blue Print to enhance global 5G security.
- TELUS, an LFN member, highlighted key reasons for telcos to engage in open source through LFN.
- Walmart Global Tech, also an LFN member, has contributed its Traffic Mirroring eBPF package to LFN's L3AF project as open source.
- Congrats to Fledge for advancing to the Impact stage! Explore how Fledge can help unleash the potential of your industrial data.
- Get insights from LF Edge leader Michael Maxey, VP of Business Development at ZEDEDA, on his journey in the edge computing industry and the importance of planning for IoT and edge growth. Read the complete interview.
Open Mainframe Project
- Open Mainframe Project celebrates five years of Zowe in 2023. Domenico D'Alterio, an Open Mainframe Ambassador and Principal Product Manager at IBM shares his journey with Zowe and its impact on his professional roles.
- Sam Golob, leader and manager of Open Mainframe Project's CBT Tape, introduces readers to MVS, the IBM Mainframe, and z/OS in an insightful article.
- Salisu Ali, a former Open Mainframe Project Summer mentee and medical student, discusses his passion for mainframes and contributions to #Zowe in the "I am a Mainframer" podcast.
- Nephio's highly anticipated Release 1 is coming in June, promising groundbreaking advancements in cloud computing. Expect unmatched performance, scalability, and security. Stay informed on R1's progress by subscribing to the Nephio-dev mailing list.
- SONiC Mini Summit was held at the Open Source Summit. Recordings will be available on SONiC YouTube and LinkedIn by the end of May.
- Explore the new SONiC website and join the community to shape the future of the Open Network Operating System.
- Look forward to the SONiC 202305 release in the coming months, featuring enhanced security, config improvements, and more. Stay updated by joining the SONiC mailing lists.
- Welcome PLVision as the newest SONiC Member! Learn about their contributions to advancing network operating systems.
- Watch the recordings of SONiC sessions at the 2023 OCP Regional Summit. Check out the playlist here.
- Antmicro introduces platform-agnostic integration between Zephyr, CMock, and Unity for improved testing workflow. This tutorial teaches how to utilize the CMock/Unity integration and replicate tests in Renode.
- Lilbit, a top IoT pet tracker provider, incorporates Zephyr RTOS in their LilDog and LilCat products. CTO Herbert Wikheim highlights the advantages of the RTOS, including streamlined development, reduced time to market, and delivering high-quality customer-centric products.
LF in the media
- FinOps Foundation FOCUS launch coverage
- Interview with RISC-V’s Calista Redmond from OS Summit
- $40 RISC-V processor for on-device AI computing
- RISC-V neuromorphic AI chip project gains momentum
- VyperCore's RISC-V chips offer 10X speedup in general-purpose processing by offloading garbage collection
- Podcast discussing the impact of RISC-V on the hardware space
- Esperanto, a RISC-V chipmaker, ports notable LLM models to its hardware
- Article on CNCF TAG group's work on best practices for platform design
- Coverage of Emily Fox's call for new contributors to CNCF projects
- Key insights from KubeCon regarding WASM
- KubeCon session highlights the benefits of platform engineering for developers
- Using PyTorch to predict effective anti-depressants based on health history
- Linux jobs continue to be in demand despite the economic downturn
- The CRA poses challenges for open source developers
- Utrecht city in the Netherlands transitioning to an OSS Kubernetes platform
- Meta becomes a member of the OpenJS Foundation
- OpenSSF CTO and GM discuss SBOMs
- GovTech covers the OpenSSF online event
Follow the Linux Foundation on social media to get all the latest info, updates on upcoming events, and breaking news and announcements from the global open source ecosystem. Follow us here: Mastodon, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
2023 Cloud Computing Compliance and Security Projects Linux How-To Diversity & Inclusion Events Open Source Best Practices 2022 Open Source Cross Technology Training and Certification LFX Blockchain Legal Newsletter Research LF Research Networking and Edge Blog Data Governance Featured LF Energy Open Mainframe OpenChain System Administration