Embracing Open Source Excellence: Discover LF Management & Best Practices
The Linux Foundation | 04 December 2023
In the ever-expanding and often decentralized universe of open source, from software to hardware, standards, and data, and the communities of practice that have formed around them, getting the information you need quickly to make decisions or find resources can be challenging. At the Linux Foundation (LF), we host more than 1000 innovative projects and support their adoption through events, training, research, and beyond; with so many different communities in our midst, the journey to find the right resources at the right time can be challenging.
That is, up until now. Welcome to LF Management & Best Practices – a home that brings together the critical projects and resources to guide you through your open source journey in an optimized fashion, whether you’re new to open source or a veteran. Here’s what it’s all about.
A unified hub for open source mastery
Open source flourishes when best practices are not just known but also easily accessible and widely implemented. Strategy development and ongoing management are crucial for the continuity and optimization of any project's lifecycle. The Linux Foundation recognized this need and responded with an array of projects and communities, each contributing uniquely to these principles.
LF Management & Best Practices is the digital nexus where these communities converge, offering a comprehensive repository of standards, reference material, courses, live events, webinars, and essential tools. This platform features critical resources, each designed to assist in initiating and maintaining your open source journey.
- CHAOSS Project: Dive into metrics and models that shed light on global open source community health.
- LF Training & Certification: Acquire marketable open source skills and certifications, especially in management and best practices.
- LF Events: Engage with open source maintainers, developers, and leaders at premier events like the Operations Management Summit.
- LF Research: Gain insights into open source trends with reports on best practices across various industries.
- LFX: Explore a suite of tools providing insights for every stage of a project lifecycle.
- OpenChain: Embrace process management standards and build a trusted supply chain.
- OpenSSF: Collaborate to develop and maintain secure, sustainable open source software.
- SPDX: Utilize the international open standard for Software Bill of Materials (SBOMs).
- TODO Group: Enhance your Open Source Program Office with shared knowledge and tools.
The LF Management & Best Practices platform continuously evolves through free resources through LF Training & Certifications, adding new sections like security vulnerability reporting practices and guidance on generative AI in software development.
The featured training section also offers courses like 'Open Source Management & Strategy' and 'Developing Secure Software,' all free and geared towards enhancing your open source journey.
- Open Source Management & Strategy
- Inclusive Strategies for Open Source (LFC103) - Free
- Ethics for Open Source Development (LFC104) - Free
- Open Source Licensing Basics for Software Developers (LFC191) - Free
- Introduction to Open Source License Compliance Management (LFC193) - Free
- Implementing Open Source License Compliance Management (LFC194) - Free
- Developing Secure Software (LFD121) - Free
- Fundamentals of Professional Open Source Management (LFC110) - Free
- Securing Your Software Supply Chain with Sigstore (LFS11x) - Free through edX
- Cybersecurity Essentials (LFC108) - Free
- A Beginner’s Guide to Open Source Software Development (LFD102) - Free
Showcasing community practices through LF Research
Through the lens of LF Research, the initiative also showcases insights from community members, sharing their experiences and the impact of LF's programs on best practices. These testimonials offer real-world perspectives on the efficacy and benefits of engaging with LF Management & Best Practices.
- 2023 State of the OSPO and OSS Initiatives
- 2023 State of Open Standards
- Recommended Practices for Hosting and Managing Open Source Projects on GitHub
- The Business Value of the OSPO
- A Roadmap to Improve the Effectiveness and Impact of Enterprise Open Source Development
- Releasing Open Source Code Into an Open Source Project
- A Deep Dive into Open Source Program Offices
- A Guide to Enterprise Open Source
- The Evolution of the OSPO
Join the journey
Whether you are new to open source or looking to refine your organization's open source practices, LF Management & Best Practices is your go-to resource. Discover the projects and resources to accelerate your open source strategy, management, and best practices today. And if you think something is missing that should be there, don’t hesitate to let us know!
2023 Compliance and Security Cloud Computing Projects Linux How-To Diversity & Inclusion Open Source Open Source Best Practices 2022 Cross Technology Training and Certification Newsletter 2024 LFX AI LF Research Legal Research Networking and Edge Topic: Data Blog Data Governance Featured LF Energy Linux Linux Foundation Open Mainframe Open Models OpenChain System Administration Topic: Security eBPF generative AI kernel license compliance maintainer techtalentsurvey