Linux Foundation Newsletter: October 2022
The Linux Foundation | 20 October 2022
We've got exciting news to share this month across the Linux Foundation. Here’s a roundup of must-read updates from our community, including in supply chain security, LF Training, LF Europe, and so much more. We've also got a lot of great events upcoming in November, too!
- Supply Chain Security
- Open Source Summit recap and Launch of LF Europe
- Upcoming Events
- Diversity & Inclusion
Software supply chain security
In September, the OpenSSF responded to the recently introduced United States Securing Open Source Software Act, bipartisan legislation sponsored by Senators Gary Peters (D-MI) and Rob Portman (R-OH). This legislation is a direct response to the Log4Shell vulnerability, discovered last year, which protects federal agencies and critical infrastructure systems by strengthening the security of open source software.
In October, we announced that the OpenChain Security Assurance Specification 1.1 is now available. It is being prepared for submission to ISO/IEC JTC-1 via the PAS Transposition Process. We expect the specification to graduate as an ISO/IEC International Standard in mid-2023. Meanwhile, it is ready for market adoption as a de facto industry standard.
- OpenSSF Day at Open Source Summit Europe Highlights
- Securing Open Source Software is Securing Critical Infrastructure
- New OpenSSF Meet a Maintainer and Contributor Q&A Series Begins
- First-Ever SigstoreCon at KubeCon + CloudNativeCon North America 2022 (Oct 25)
93% of hiring managers cannot find enough individuals with verifiable open source skills. Leverage this promotion to gain the skills you need to demonstrate your experience.
Interested in reading our training newsletter? Click here to subscribe.
Open Source Summit Europe recap and launch of LF Europe
On September 13-16, the Linux Foundation hosted Open Source Summit Europe in Dublin, Ireland, where 1,500 people joined us in person, with another 800 attending virtually. At the event, we were proud to announce the launch of Linux Foundation Europe, PyTorch Foundation, and OpenWallet Foundation.
Our message to Europe is this: We support the European OSS community, from individuals to public and private sectors, while providing an on-ramp for European projects and companies to succeed and collaborate globally. We are supported by over 30 members, and our first project, the OpenWallet Foundation, is already in its formation stage.
LF Europe GM Gabriele Columbro: Making Europe’s ‘romantic’ open source world more practical
LF Europe's new GM, Gabriele Columbro, was recently interviewed at The New Stack, where he discusses both the community aspects of open source in Europe well as its commercial possibilities. Read the article, and watch the video here.
LF Europe Executive Roundtable
As part of our launch activities, LF Europe was pleased to host an Executive Roundtable with inaugural LF Europe members and key stakeholders to exchange views on priorities for LF Europe in the coming years. Read up on the key takeaways here.
A priority we discussed was creating an Advisory Body in the next few months. It will be composed of representatives from different stakeholder communities, including LF Europe members, governments, academics, developers, and beyond. If this sounds interesting to you, become a member to get additional updates, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
World of Open Source: Europe Spotlight
We were also happy to publish our study with Scott Logic, World of Open Source: Europe Spotlight 2022, which describes the “state of open source” across Europe. Watch a recording of a panel discussion at OSSEU or read about it in our blog.
Get in touch!
The latest release of Insights for LFX is now LIVE! Packed with new dashboards & analytics making it easier to find the information that matters most, Insights is your go-to for understanding project performance and ecosystem trends.
Check it out here: https://insights.lfx.dev
Want to be an expert in LFX? Join your open source colleagues at the LFX Community Forum
- PyTorch Foundation: A Foundation for Open Source AI/ML (Webinar replay)
- Linux Foundation Announces an Intent to Form the OpenWallet Foundation
- LF Energy Announces New Members Including Shell, New Projects Including Super Advanced Meter
- OpenAPI Initiative is looking for feedback for Project Moonwalk. Join the discussion!
- The playlist of sessions from Hyperledger Global Forum 2022 is now live (videos)
- Hyperledger Besu case study: Behind the scenes of creating LACChain, the world’s largest permission public blockchain network
- New eBook details how Hyperledger Foundation’s India community, led by the regional chapter, is growing the Hyperledger ecosystem
- Open Mainframe Project announces new COBOL Study and Sponsorship Opportunities
- Bridge Gaps and Ignite the Spark for Growth: How DEI Creates Value in the Mainframe Industry
- RISC-V International Announces Agenda for RISC-V Summit 2022
Announcing RISC-V International’s Expanded Developer Boards Program
- Renodepedia From Zephyr’s structured data to traceable and testable open hardware with Renode
- Zephyr Mini-Summit at Open Source Summit Europe (videos)
- ELISA Summit: Call for an ELISA Aerospace Working Group (video)
- Addressing Space Isolation for Enhanced Safety of the Linux Kernel (video)
- October’s OSPOlogy recording session is now available: Ways to define a metrics strategy for your Open Source Program Office (video)
- How to automate your FOSS policy and processes? Don’t miss the next OSPOlogy session by TODO group
- OSPO BoF + Happy Hour at KubeCon NA: Are you attending to KubeCon this October? Join us to network with open source peers involved in Open Source Program Offices!
- TODO Group announces the fifth annual Open Source Program Management Survey results that examine the prevalence and outcomes of open source programs
LF Networking/LF Edge
- LF Networking welcomes TELUS as Platinum Member, with CTO Ibrahim Gedeon on the Board, to further enable a new era of smarter, sustainable technologies
- Influential Thought Leaders Across Open Networking, Edge, IoT Ecosystem to Keynote ONE Summit, November 15-16, 2022
- LF Networking members PANTHEON.tech and Intel help improve cloud native networking with FD.io VPP and DPDK
- LF Networking Case Study: TIGO Guatemala and Aarna Networks automate the discovery and testing of end-to-end services and devices for customers with key ONAP components
- LF Networking Case Study: Orange leverages LFN’s EMCO to guide autonomous vehicles.
- Fledge, an open source framework for and community for the industrial edge just issued its 2.0 Release with support for enhanced data types, new plugins, and more.
- LF Edge members Equinix & Aarna Networks win ETSI/MEC Hackathon at Edge Computing World 2022 with Akraino blueprint-based solution, “MEC Service Federation for Location-aware IoT with DevOps MEC Infrastructure Orchestration”
- Content from the recent Akraino Fall Technical Summit, September 20-2022, is now available.
- LF Edge’s Open Horizon project helps IBM and Red Hat to reduce latency costs and needs for processing power on the factory floor or retail environment,
- DPDK’s 2022 Userspace event replay, which took place in Arcachon, France, and virtually, is now available (videos)
- Calling all energy stakeholders! LF Energy: Participate in the first-ever survey to discover the digital transformation readiness of energy stakeholders
- A Deep Dive into Open Source Program Offices
- CTO Summit EU 2022: Resiliency in Multi-Cloud
- AsyncAPI Conf Nov 3-5 Virtual
- PromCon EU Nov 8-9 Munich, Germany
- Linux Foundation Member Summit Nov 8-10 Lake Tahoe, CA
- ONE Summit Nov 15-16 Seattle, WA
- LFN Developer & Testing Forum Nov 17-18 Seattle, WA
- Yocto Project Summit Nov 29-Dec 1 Virtual
- Open Source Summit Japan Dec 5-6 Yokohama, Japan
- KubeDay Japan Dec 7 Yokohama, Japan
- SODACON Dec 7 Yokohama, Japan + Virtual
- Open Compliance Summit Dec 7-8 Yokohama, Japan
- PrestoCon Dec 7-8 Mountain View, CA
- Open Source in Finance Forum Dec 8 New York, NY
- RISC-V Summit Dec 13-14 San Jose, CA
Diversity, equity, & inclusion
- Supporting Women in Open Source at Grace Hopper Celebration
- Diversity Scholarships are offered for events. For more eligibility information and how to apply, please visit the individual event’s website (all listed here), click the “Attend” tab, and select the “Registration Scholarships” option.
- The Linux Foundation’s Travel Fund enables open source developers and community members to attend events they would otherwise be unable to attend due to a lack of funding. We emphasize funding applicants from historically underrepresented or untapped groups and those of lower socioeconomic status. Please click here for more information and to apply.
- In 2022, we received 6852 applications, the vast majority from outside the United States. The LFX Mentorship program will wrap up 2022 with more than 30 new Linux kernel developers and more than 240 new open source developers across all LFX projects, with CNCF leading with over 104 graduates.
- Our mentors leverage LF Live: Mentorship Series resources to train mentees. This series provides expert knowledge and valuable interactive discussion across various topics related to the Linux kernel and other OSS projects. We continue to make these webinars available for free, and we will conclude this year with a total of 12.
- In 2022, we offered a five-part webinar series on Rust. This is a timely resource as Rust grows in popularity and becomes a supported language in the Linux kernel 6.1 release. We thank the Rust maintainers for taking the time to provide this valuable resource.
Follow The Linux Foundation on social media to get all the latest info, updates on upcoming events, and breaking news and announcements from the global open source ecosystem. Follow us here: Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Cloud Computing Compliance and Security Projects Linux How-To Diversity & Inclusion Open Source Best Practices 2022 Events Cross Technology Training and Certification LFX Open Source Blockchain Research Legal Networking and Edge Data Governance Green Software Foundation LF Energy LF Research OpenChain System Administration